Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a piece of wood. Singular. I'm not talking about wood for a client, but for you, your own project.
I have spent quite a bit on a bunch of wood, but for a single piece I think maybe $100 tops it.
The reason this pops up is two weeks ago my son and I went to
Woodcrafters in Seattle and there was a slab of waterfall bubinga for
10 grand! Granted it was beautiful but it got me to thinking who has that kind of cash to buy such a piece.
Anyway, let's hear it people!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've paid $250 for 2 curly koa boards. Made my brother his wedding present from them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On a piece of wood. Singular. I'm not talking about wood for a client, but for you, your own project.
I have spent quite a bit on a bunch of wood, but for a single piece I think maybe $100 tops it.
The reason this pops up is two weeks ago my son and I went to
Woodcrafters in Seattle and there was a slab of waterfall bubinga for
10 grand! Granted it was beautiful but it got me to thinking who has that kind of cash to buy such a piece.
Anyway, let's hear it people!

$10,000 WOW! There is a slab of the same thing at my Rockler store about 6' x 2' for $2500 if my memory serves me and I thought that was insane. The most I ever paid was $55 for a large piece of glued up oak.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
$110.00 for 2 sticks of 8/4 black walnut 10"wide by 10' long. Guess that comes in at $55.00 per stick. I used it to build two jewelery cases for two of my granddaughters.

My supplier had a slab of beautiful cypress (pretty common here in FL) that was listed at $3000.00. It was about 6' long by 1' wide at the bottom and spread out to a crotch that was at least 2' wide and over 1' in length. The thing looked like a 8" tall letter "Y". Boy that thing was sure pretty.

·
7,222 Posts
$28 / board foot for a piece of pomelle sapele. I just fell in love with the grain. I forget the dimensions without going in the shop to check, but perhaps 6 in wide and 8ft long.

I have used maybe 15in of the board. Ripped small strips to use as edge accents on cutting boards. The grain looks even better with finish.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
$80 on an 8/4 piece of walnut from my lumber supplier... real exciting I know.

However, my uncle builds custom furniture for a living and Bubinga just so happens to be his favorite wood to use. He told me that all of his instructors or friends in the trade would usually start with a slab in the $3k-$5k range, and end up in the $7k-$9k final product (usually a dining table). He says he usually STARTS with a slab in $10k range and goes for about the $20k+ final product!!! He's fortunate enough to be able to buy these types of slabs when he finds them, even if he doesn't have a specific job for it yet.

To give you an idea of the type of work he does, here are some pictures of a dresser/armoire/cabinet he built last year all of which is solid bubinga.

Furniture Wood stain Varnish Sideboard Hardwood

Furniture Room Property Wood stain Cupboard

Furniture Chiffonier Chest of drawers Drawer Wood stain

$10k is a whooooole lot of money, but that wood sure is beautiful!

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I bought 1 small piece of rough ebony about 1' long, 3/8" thick and 4" wide for $35.00.
That was 6-7 years ago and I still haven't found a use for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm contemplating spending 4 figures on a Walnut slab eventually for a dining table. I'd love a waterfall bubinga slab, but a) the color wouldn't go with anything else, and b) That will be approaching 5 figures.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've seen that slab at Woodcraft and it is amazing. I also think it hash ads sold sign on it almost since the day it came in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
1984 dollars. $1300 for an English walnut exhibition grade blank. I must have measured everything 50 times before I took the drill press and chisels too it. It was a custom shop gun for the president of Winchester.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
I paid $20 for a 7' by 26" by 1" thick piece of finger jointed red and white oak. It was supposed to be made into a shadow box for my now ex FIL. I bought it three weeks prior to my ex telling me she wanted out. I lost interest, so it sits--- for now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
$80 (1984 dollars) for a 6 ft long 8/4 red oak board that was supposed to become a fireplace mantle. After jointing it flat I discovered that it was all rotted inside and when I cut out the bad parts I didn't even have enough left over for 4 30" table legs.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Maylar said:
$80 (1984 dollars) for a 6 ft long 8/4 red oak board that was supposed to become a fireplace mantle. After jointing it flat I discovered that it was all rotted inside and when I cut out the bad parts I didn't even have enough left over for 4 30" table legs.
Man that sucks!!!

Mark

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I do not know what the most expensive wood I bought was but the most expensive one I sold was this ones mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts