Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a piece of wood. Singular. I'm not talking about wood for a client, but for you, your own project.
I have spent quite a bit on a bunch of wood, but for a single piece I think maybe $100 tops it.
The reason this pops up is two weeks ago my son and I went to
Woodcrafters in Seattle and there was a slab of waterfall bubinga for
10 grand! Granted it was beautiful but it got me to thinking who has that kind of cash to buy such a piece.
Anyway, let's hear it people!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've paid $250 for 2 curly koa boards. Made my brother his wedding present from them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On a piece of wood. Singular. I'm not talking about wood for a client, but for you, your own project.
I have spent quite a bit on a bunch of wood, but for a single piece I think maybe $100 tops it.
The reason this pops up is two weeks ago my son and I went to
Woodcrafters in Seattle and there was a slab of waterfall bubinga for
10 grand! Granted it was beautiful but it got me to thinking who has that kind of cash to buy such a piece.
Anyway, let's hear it people!

$10,000 WOW! There is a slab of the same thing at my Rockler store about 6' x 2' for $2500 if my memory serves me and I thought that was insane. The most I ever paid was $55 for a large piece of glued up oak.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
$110.00 for 2 sticks of 8/4 black walnut 10"wide by 10' long. Guess that comes in at $55.00 per stick. I used it to build two jewelery cases for two of my granddaughters.

My supplier had a slab of beautiful cypress (pretty common here in FL) that was listed at $3000.00. It was about 6' long by 1' wide at the bottom and spread out to a crotch that was at least 2' wide and over 1' in length. The thing looked like a 8" tall letter "Y". Boy that thing was sure pretty.

·
7,222 Posts
$28 / board foot for a piece of pomelle sapele. I just fell in love with the grain. I forget the dimensions without going in the shop to check, but perhaps 6 in wide and 8ft long.

I have used maybe 15in of the board. Ripped small strips to use as edge accents on cutting boards. The grain looks even better with finish.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
$80 on an 8/4 piece of walnut from my lumber supplier... real exciting I know.

However, my uncle builds custom furniture for a living and Bubinga just so happens to be his favorite wood to use. He told me that all of his instructors or friends in the trade would usually start with a slab in the $3k-$5k range, and end up in the $7k-$9k final product (usually a dining table). He says he usually STARTS with a slab in $10k range and goes for about the $20k+ final product!!! He's fortunate enough to be able to buy these types of slabs when he finds them, even if he doesn't have a specific job for it yet.

To give you an idea of the type of work he does, here are some pictures of a dresser/armoire/cabinet he built last year all of which is solid bubinga.

Bubinga1.jpg

Bubinga2.jpg

Bubinga3.jpg

$10k is a whooooole lot of money, but that wood sure is beautiful!

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I bought 1 small piece of rough ebony about 1' long, 3/8" thick and 4" wide for $35.00.
That was 6-7 years ago and I still haven't found a use for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm contemplating spending 4 figures on a Walnut slab eventually for a dining table. I'd love a waterfall bubinga slab, but a) the color wouldn't go with anything else, and b) That will be approaching 5 figures.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've seen that slab at Woodcraft and it is amazing. I also think it hash ads sold sign on it almost since the day it came in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
1984 dollars. $1300 for an English walnut exhibition grade blank. I must have measured everything 50 times before I took the drill press and chisels too it. It was a custom shop gun for the president of Winchester.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
I paid $20 for a 7' by 26" by 1" thick piece of finger jointed red and white oak. It was supposed to be made into a shadow box for my now ex FIL. I bought it three weeks prior to my ex telling me she wanted out. I lost interest, so it sits--- for now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
$80 (1984 dollars) for a 6 ft long 8/4 red oak board that was supposed to become a fireplace mantle. After jointing it flat I discovered that it was all rotted inside and when I cut out the bad parts I didn't even have enough left over for 4 30" table legs.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Maylar said:
$80 (1984 dollars) for a 6 ft long 8/4 red oak board that was supposed to become a fireplace mantle. After jointing it flat I discovered that it was all rotted inside and when I cut out the bad parts I didn't even have enough left over for 4 30" table legs.
Man that sucks!!!

Mark

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I do not know what the most expensive wood I bought was but the most expensive one I sold was this ones mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts