Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is an 8 inch silver birch bowl i turned for my granddad for christmas.
i have been turning for 4 months and i am enjoying every second im at the lathe (well, unless i get a catch!).
my questions is, what kind of things do beginner turners make?
written replies are great but a photo or a link is even better :smile:
the finish is superglue
100_0484.JPG
100_0488.jpg

Attachments

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Nice looking bowl. I always suggest to new turners is to join a local club. your turning skills will improve faster, safer and get knowledge form the more experienced turners. here is a link of all kind of projects, but do the ones you feel safe doing. and welcome to the vortex.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.html

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nice bowl. The more you turn the more you learn. Learning to use the tools properly is very important. If you are in an area like me where there are no turning clubs close, you might try finding someone that turns that is willing to help you. I am mostly self taught. I have an uncle that turns but he lives in Dallas, so I have been unable to get a lot of help from him. I spent a week there a couple of years ago and spent a lot of time in the shop getting pointers. Just that little bit of time I spent with him made a huge difference. My results are a lot better since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i been turning about 3 months just started on bowls when i have time heres a few these are the first 4 i turned

redwood first maple with funky rim 2nd maple with less funky rim 3rd and the box elder 4th all the gloss ones were done with wop

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice bowls!
i wish i had some wood like that.
i like the first the most, where did you get the wood??

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I'm most definitely a beginning turner. I've done some candlestick holders, one bowl (back in my school days 25+ years ago) some tops, some knobs for guitars, and a few other little things I can't remember at the moment. I'm planning on making a bunch more tops and toys for the kids in the near future, but my goal is to do more bowls. Nothing big, just 4-8 inches or so... maybe a couple plates sometime as well, once I get an "outboard" built.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started on nightsticks to get the hang of the tools. im a painting contractor by trade so I have the EYES already no real need for calipers or anything unless I need to accurately duplicate multiple pieces

nice bowl btw! ....... something i have been wanting to get into

1 - 9 of 9 Posts