Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to keep my bench completely clear. I'm always getting out my bench grinder and my bench vice, securing them to the bench, using them, unsecuring them and putting them away. I also have some t-tracks on my bench and use a universal fence on them. I spend more time switching between those three items than I do using them!

I have the sme issue on my DP switching between various securing methods and jigs and my DP table takes far more time than actually drilling a hole.

I'm wondering what functions/tools you use most often on your bench and DP? And, does anyone have any clever methods for faster changeout between functions?

Interested to hear your toughts.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
maybe some toggle clamps would help with the time it takes to secure them to the bench?

my bench is a new-fangled style ... it has bar clamps integrated into the top and it is very quick and easy to secure stuff to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toggle clamps

maybe some toggle clamps would help with the time it takes to secure them to the bench?

my bench is a new-fangled style ... it has bar clamps integrated into the top and it is very quick and easy to secure stuff to it.
Definitely various clamps can improve securing/unsecuring time.
Storing and retrieval of the items stinks.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
My work bench is secured to a wall with shelves above it.
The "full time residents" are the bench grinder and a 1"belt / 8"disk sander and an old vice.
The rest is the general clutter that can collect itself on any given horizontal surface.
My table saw & outfeed table is my usual assembly area. That's usually the clearest space available.
...Jon..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No grinder or bench vice? Or do you have one on a stand?

I agree with you on keeping it clear ... First thing my grandfather taught me. "Use it, clean it, put it back where you got it.!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
No grinder or bench vice? Or do you have one on a stand?

I agree with you on keeping it clear ... First thing my grandfather taught me. "Use it, clean it, put it back where you got it.!"
Bench vises are mounted underneath and my grinder is a pedestal model. Your grandfather was a smart man, it makes it a lot easier to find stuff when it's put away. Plus I think is faster to clean up as you go than clean up a real big mess later on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
LMAO...better question would be .. what's not on my bench...I don't want to describe it, may cause some of you to pass out, if your putting tools away after you use them. LOL...I'd post a pic, but it may cause serious illness, you'll end up in the hospital with a brain aneurysm for sure... As long as no one goes in there and moves anything, I know exactly where everything is when I need it, usually only take ten or fifteen minutes to find it...:blink:

·
Registered
200 Posts
What's not on my bench ;)

I'm with you - I have one bench used mainly for storage and another meant to be a work surface, but it's turned out being used for scrap/misc. tool accumulation ;). I am still planning the "perfect bench"... Not holding my breath, of course ;)

Mark V

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Depends. Most of the time it's got a lot of shavings and sawdust on it. While I'm working, it usually has some hand planes, at least one chisel, a mallet, a marking gauge, and a 16" combination square. Sometimes there's even space left for wood!

And on days when I haven't made it out to the shop recently, it usually has cobwebs, since those only take about 48 hours to start forming in my shop...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad he didn't ask what's in my shopvac...:laughing:...in addition to saw dust, the odd misc shop rag that was too close to the nozzle, who know how many screws nails etc.. there are ...and it is just a guess, but maybe 300 to 500 dead wasp..a whole summers worth...lol...got tired of killing them, so when I see them I just shopvac them up. This is the penalty for coming into my shop uninvited. During the summer I leave my garage door open that is attached to my shop. Don't know how long it takes then to dye, but they have plenty of saw dust to eat until then...lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I always keep my workbench clean and I use it all the time. I'm fortunate to have workstations for most of my tools but I used to be annoyed swapping out the dovetail jig and my swivel vise along with a few other tools. I solved my problem by imbedding 2 t-tracks into the top of my bench and giving the jig, vise etc each their own permanent platforms. These platforms each have 2 holes in them to accept t-bolts that get secured to the t-tracks. The set up is featured in the current issue of ShopNotes on page 6 and it won me the PC 450C router kit for submitting the best tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
my workbench is usually clear of clutter. It does have inbound and outbound projects on it. I find that the less horizontal space there is in the shop, the better. if I leave inbound projects in a visible area ( on the workbench ), then it keeps me thinking about them and helps push them along to get done and out. Plus, my shop area is pretty small so organization is important..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts