Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been fast and furious so I have only had time to snap photos here and there, but I'll let the suspense build for a few days.

Let's just say they have to be installed on Wednesday and they're nowhere NEAR done yet, let alone sanded and stained, my shop is a complete mess, as dirty and unorganized as it's ever been, and I'm wiped out. I started this mess on Sunday.

They are NOT picture frames and not all you see are doors, although some are.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I've made a ton of progress and I may just get this thing done in time yet. They have to be installed tomorrow at noon and there's some serious work to be done still. Ok, so mystery over...

These are going to be display cases. Seven of them. The client is a marketing company who will be installing them in something near and dear to me, an Airstream travel trailer. They're taking it on the road and touring about 15 states over the next few months. Since they're going in the trailer, I'm having to use acrylic instead of glass, both for weight and durability. The first coat of stain went on nicely and I'll be applying the second coat here shortly. In the morning, lacquer goes on, glass goes in place and they'll be installed by around noon. There are doors that aren't pictured that go in as well. I wish I had more time with them to get the finish perfect but unfortunately, time's up and they'll have to do. I'll take a lot more pictures once they go in place.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, sun do your magic! I applied the last coat of stain around 11:30 last night. It's so humid here that they're not even close to being dry, let alone able to be clear coated. I was able to convince the customer to give me until Saturday for off gassing purposes. Everything coming together very nicely and I think they'll be sweet once they go into place. The doors still need to be installed alongside the plexiglass, but I can't do any of that without dry wood.

Here are some of the doors drying

Interesting note: the stain seems to be "sweating" a bit in the sun. It's beading up like this.

Here's the trailer they're going in.

These couches are coming out and the cases will sit on top of the framing underneath.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I got the first coat of brushing lacquer on and I'm ready for coats 2-4 tomorrow. Everything's turning out really nice and I'm excited to see them put in place. The small door in the last pic shows the color of the existing cabinetry that I'm trying to match.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice! The place has an awesome antique look to it. Pretty classy looking.

What is it; a mobile cigar shop? Or smoking museum?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They look great;) I'm not sure I'll be able to handle a job like that any time soon!

Nice truck. Does that have the 7.3 diesel?
Thanks, it's my baby. It's actually got the 6.0 that's been bullet proofed and is a beast now. An SCT tuned 510hp screamer that'll pull a mountain and get 22mpg highway, 15 city, 15 pulling my 7k trailer at 65mph (with different tunes obviously).

It's going to be a sad sad day when she finally goes... hoping to get at least another 5 years out of her though. She's got 132k on the clock and runs like a raped ape now though.

You probably can't tell, but I love my truck hehehehe :laughing:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Excellent job on the cabinets! They look amazing and match the existing stuff perfectly!

Thanks, it's my baby. It's actually got the 6.0 that's been bullet proofed and is a beast now. An SCT tuned 510hp screamer that'll pull a mountain and get 22mpg highway, 15 city, 15 pulling my 7k trailer at 65mph (with different tunes obviously).

It's going to be a sad sad day when she finally goes... hoping to get at least another 5 years out of her though. She's got 132k on the clock and runs like a raped ape now though.

You probably can't tell, but I love my truck hehehehe :laughing:

I had to sell my baby a year ago to the day! It was an 07 F250 with the 6.0 and an SCT tuner as well. I had about $11k in extras into that truck and I was devastated when it came time to sell it.

Fortunately for me (unfortunately for the buyer) the old girl blew a head gasket 4 days after I sold it. I'm sure you know all about the issues with those motors, and I was selling the truck because I knew with 90k on it, the inevitable was just around the corner. I just had no idea the corner was that close! Here's to you enjoying many more trouble free years with yours!!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Fortunately for me (unfortunately for the buyer) the old girl blew a head gasket 4 days after I sold it. I'm sure you know all about the issues with those motors, and I was selling the truck because I knew with 90k on it, the inevitable was just around the corner. I just had no idea the corner was that close! Here's to you enjoying many more trouble free years with yours!!!
So you didn't have the head studs then presumably? I'm well aware of all of 'em, and I've got the EGR delete, new oil cooler, pyrometer, 4" exhaust, cat delete, blue spring, head studs, sct, the whole 9. I've really enjoyed working on it, but I enjoy driving it a helluva lot more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts