Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not that i'm planning on getting you anything :smile:

i'm actually looking for ideas for me that my family can afford. although, i did list the SawStop 10" Cabinet Saw at the top of my list... :thumbsup:

since i'm fairly new to this hobby i'm still trying to acquire tools and 'stuff'. this is the list i have so far: (without the SawStop mentioned)

1) Clamps (i have a small handful, but you can never have too many clamps)
2) Pipe Clamps (i don't have any)
3) WoodCraft Gift Certificate (i'd list Rockler, but they charge for their certs)

i need router bits, but i don't know what i need yet. :) i don't have any yet.

i'm having a hard time coming up with a list of ideas that ppl not familiar with woodworking would be able to find/buy.

what else do i need? :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
5" random orbit sander.
14" Bandsaw
10" Shop Fox cabinet saw (900.00 new)
You can make some awsome craft and furniture projects with these and be under $1500.00

·
Registered
803 Posts
To NOT have to put up with my so-called "brother in law" yammering on about his dads "boss" Craftsman tools......dude.:furious:

That and a bottle of 18 year old scotch.:yes:

·
Registered
979 Posts
A set of "good" squares the nice steel ones that come in 3-6 and 12 inches, Thickness gauge? A nice 24" steel ruler,. All those other tools are practically useless unless you start with the most important ones.

If you already have those than go for broke and ask for a portable mill...:thumbsup:

·
Member , noisy .
105 Posts
A pallet of Marris otter , American pale , and Munich malt .
A bale of hops ....:yes:

A dust collection system ...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
If you already have those than go for broke and ask for a portable mill...:thumbsup:
A little tough for Santa to get down the chimney, but a great gift idea :smile:. Every day of sawmilling for me is exactly like Christmas. The packages are all wrapped in bark, and I never really know what I am going to get for sure until I open them. Some times it is "socks"...and sometimes it is a "Rolex", metaphorically speaking.

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A set of "good" squares the nice steel ones that come in 3-6 and 12 inches, Thickness gauge? A nice 24" steel ruler,. All those other tools are practically useless unless you start with the most important ones.
yeah, i don't have any squares. well, i have a large carpenters square from Menards and a small adjustable square. but they are cheaper tools and i'm not sure how precise they are, especially the small adjustable square.
i don't have a steel rule either. where do i suggest ppl go to pick one up? are Menards quality squares decent quality? the reason i ask is the gentleman that taught a couple of the woodworking classes i've attended was adamant about his measuring tools and recommended that i steer clear of even WoodCrafts rules/squares. but he's a pro and has to have extremely precise work for his clients, not that i don't aspire to that level of quality...

A dust collection system ...
i do need something along the lines of dust collection, but that's not something the fam would be able to afford. :smile: i currently use my small shop vac attached to the tool i'm using and am building a boxfan with furnace filter dust collector for the time being. it's better than nothing. ;) i have been wearing a mask when i'm making a lot of dust though. speaking of masks, any in particular that you guys would recommend? that might be something cheap enough to ask for.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bud,

I take it you're a homebrewer too!:thumbsup:

A pallet of Marris otter , American pale , and Munich malt .
A bale of hops ....:yes:

A dust collection system ...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Starrett makes very fine measuring tools for those who have asked. But you can buy very good quality things from Gladstone Tools for a lot less. I have both and as far as accuracy goes, there's no difference. The Starrett tools are more robust and "feel" better and will probably be used by my Great-Grandchildren. In fact, I'm using a couple from my Great-Grandad.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum aclose. Boy is yours the proverbial open ended question. Best I can suggest is to think about the things you would most like to build, and plan along the lines from there. For router bits the most economical way to go is to buy a comprehensive set of 35, or 50. They have them at Busy Bee, Princess Auto, and Lee Valley. Buying them one at a time is expensive. You can always go back and replace or add your favourites later, as they wear out. If you don't have a router yet, get one with 1/2 inch capacity. They are not that much more expensive, but leave you open to doing projects such as raised panelling. Pipe clamps are the most versatile, yet relatively inexpensive, especially if you are building shelves, or cabinets, and as you already know, you simply cannot have too many clamps.
Any decent powered hand tools are good to have, if you don't have them yet: 1/2 drill. belt sander, orbital sander, skill saw, jig saw. Oh, yeah, and everything everybody else said.

Have fun

Gerry

·
Registered
36 Posts
A bigger basement so I could have real room to work with :D

That aside, a finishing nailer, a book on building furniture would be nice (not tables, I mean things like rocking chairs or outdoor chair swings), a portable table saw (since my basement is not growing), a good chisel set, and someone else to pay off my mortgage :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I could use a planer, band saw, drill press, canister filter for my DC and etc etc etc. But I have'nt been that good to receive all those toys:D

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd like some good wood for xmas... (so expensive!)

Walnut, Maple, Mahogany, y'know ... just some cheap wood! :eek: :laughing:

It would be nice to make something out of some good wood... for a change. :laughing: :thumbsup:

... well, I can dream can't I? :yes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts