Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing some early spring cleaning, I've donated 100+ old VHS movie tapes. So one left over item is my four VHS tape cabinets. (Web photo attached if you're not familiar with them, as it's an old format)

It's hard to see, but the drawer bottoms are only an inch or so tall, so sides and a back would most likely be needed.

So would you make something out of them? For the house or shop? What would you use them for? Or would you just donate them?

I'm not coming up with any clever uses for them, so ideas will help.

The units I have measure 16 3/4"W x 5"T x 15"D
And the case sides, top, bottom, and center support (not seen in the attachment) are 5/16" thick.

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
I had three - and trashed them. (I never thought of repurposing them)
they were fiberboard with a vinyl wrap - not solid wood.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense to spend time on them, as I have too many higher priority items already lined up.

Off to GoodWill they go, LOL!

·
Registered
315 Posts
just throw them out - Goodwill already has enough junk.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oddly enough, there is some demand for a few older VHS tapes for actual watching. Some movies are considered so "incorrect" that they can't be found on any demand service or DVD's. This includes several early Disney movies. I recently tried to buy a copy of Disney's "Kidnapped" cheapest DVD was $89.00. Another movie was almost $40 for a new DVD of "Swiss Family Robinson" I had the VHS tapes for my kids and they loved not only the movies, but also the books themselves. . I would get the book and the movie and we read the book and then they could watch the movie. We did that for several movies even up til they were in high school. My daughter loved Romeo and Juliet, she suffered through the book, and then wore out the DVD. got to the point that I scolded her to stop all the "Thou shalt" and other Elizabethan words.

·
Nine Thumbs
356 Posts
I used one for pencils and markers in the shop for quite some time until I found a couple of metal card file drawers. But yeah, they weren't heirloom quality and into the burn pile it ultimately went.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
VHS players are no longer being manufactured. If you want a new player still in the box (leftover stock), you will pay a premium price for it. In a few more years, most VHS tapes will be in the landfill, with operational players going extinct.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
even a low res video file is still better than any quality tape
unless we go into an apocalypse were all e-files are toast
but then where are you get power for your vhs player?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I purchased a device that converted all our VHS tapes to DVD, the problem is as now I have no tapes it is buried in a closet some where.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts