1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With something like this?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mat/3966178420.html

Would you mill it for slabs?

How about your turners out there, cut it up and make some live edge bowls?

Or chop it up and get ready for some flavorable grilling?

Note: I am not the seller. Just saw it on CL and wanted to see what you guys could do with something like this.

·
7,222 Posts
A short stump of unstated wood species blown down in a storm sounds good for firewood.

A lot of stress and shaking can happen in a storm. This can result in the internal cells not being stable for turning.

Too short to make boards. Too risky for turning - at least for me.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A short stump of unstated wood species blown down in a storm sounds good for firewood.

A lot of stress and shaking can happen in a storm. This can result in the internal cells not being stable for turning.

Too short to make boards. Too risky for turning - at least for me.
Understood dave. Never thought of the stress that you mentioned.

Its mesquite by the way. So they say.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I got some storm wood one time, oak from hurricane Hugo. it was a nightmare less than 1/2 was usable for anything, looks like some tasty BBQ wood though

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
To paraphrase Hans and Franz "Buy now, tink aboud it ladah"

Reactions: abetrman

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To paraphrase Hans and Franz "Buy now, tink aboud it ladah"
Oh boy. Do I do that amd way too often. Saw this and found a guy clearing out a garage full of exotics. I don't have a build in mind for some of the stuff he has but boy oh boy it showl is hard to pass that up

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd process it and see what the blanks look like. It's the nature of mesquite to have cracks, void, inclusions and etc-- that's what makes it FUN to turn. Very forgiving wood. Doesn't matter much If turned green, warpage not an issue unless you go thin.
To me-- a waste if just burnt.
Dave H

Reactions: abetrman

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd process it and see what the blanks look like. It's the nature of mesquite to have cracks, void, inclusions and etc-- that's what makes it FUN to turn. Very forgiving wood. Doesn't matter much If turned green, warpage not an issue unless you go thin.
To me-- a waste if just burnt.
Dave H
I've never turned. In fact I just picked up my first lathe this past weekend. Thought it would interesting to see what other eyes saw when they look at this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got some storm wood one time, oak from hurricane Hugo. it was a nightmare less than 1/2 was usable for anything, looks like some tasty BBQ wood though
True dat. Worse case scenario, my ribs taste a little better lol.
We get some strong winds here but did think it was this strong. I'm wondering if it was dying already and just had enough.

·
Registered
791 Posts
True dat. Worse case scenario, my ribs taste a little better lol.
We get some strong winds here but did think it was this strong. I'm wondering if it was dying already and just had enough.
Win Win you get to do some turning even using the shavings for ribs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts