Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
A short stump of unstated wood species blown down in a storm sounds good for firewood.

A lot of stress and shaking can happen in a storm. This can result in the internal cells not being stable for turning.

Too short to make boards. Too risky for turning - at least for me.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A short stump of unstated wood species blown down in a storm sounds good for firewood.

A lot of stress and shaking can happen in a storm. This can result in the internal cells not being stable for turning.

Too short to make boards. Too risky for turning - at least for me.
Understood dave. Never thought of the stress that you mentioned.

Its mesquite by the way. So they say.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
To paraphrase Hans and Franz "Buy now, tink aboud it ladah"

Reactions: abetrman

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'd process it and see what the blanks look like. It's the nature of mesquite to have cracks, void, inclusions and etc-- that's what makes it FUN to turn. Very forgiving wood. Doesn't matter much If turned green, warpage not an issue unless you go thin.
To me-- a waste if just burnt.
Dave H

Reactions: abetrman

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd process it and see what the blanks look like. It's the nature of mesquite to have cracks, void, inclusions and etc-- that's what makes it FUN to turn. Very forgiving wood. Doesn't matter much If turned green, warpage not an issue unless you go thin.
To me-- a waste if just burnt.
Dave H
I've never turned. In fact I just picked up my first lathe this past weekend. Thought it would interesting to see what other eyes saw when they look at this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some storm wood one time, oak from hurricane Hugo. it was a nightmare less than 1/2 was usable for anything, looks like some tasty BBQ wood though
True dat. Worse case scenario, my ribs taste a little better lol.
We get some strong winds here but did think it was this strong. I'm wondering if it was dying already and just had enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.