Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to woodworking, I have found a shelve design. Made two, using pine 1x8. Ready to use something like red oak. Any suggestions? Will the wood act the same(cut, sand ect...) even have dowels . Finishing too???

·
Registered
62 Posts
it's gonna cut harder, ya can normally burn through pine even with a dull blade, but oak, is hard and dense. gonna be the same with the finish, might take some extra elbow grease when sanding. good blades and tools will help. with it being hard wood make sure your holes are drilled the right size, hard woods tend to split when stressed. I'm sure there will be others that have more experience than me, I'm also new on here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
it's gonna cut harder, ya can normally burn through pine even with a dull blade, but oak, is hard and dense. gonna be the same with the finish, might take some extra elbow grease when sanding. good blades and tools will help. with it being hard wood make sure your holes are drilled the right size, hard woods tend to split when stressed. I'm sure there will be others that have more experience than me, I'm also new on here.

·
Registered
26,979 Posts
Im new to woodworking, I have found a shelve design. Made two, using pine 1x8. Ready to use something like red oak. Any suggestions? Will the wood act the same(cut, sand ect...) even have dowels . Finishing too???
I think you will be pleased with the transition. It cuts a little harder but I don't think you will be able to tell a great difference until you start sanding. You will probably need a belt sander to sand the mill marks off of it. The wood routes better and is easier to finish since it doesn't blotch.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
The red oak will accept stain more evenly than pine. The generally straighter grain of oak makes some things, such as planing, easier (because of reduced chance of tearout).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm Moving from S:censored: ity P:sick: congrads to you, yap hard woods are great to work with an lots to decide with to, as said before me here good sharp tools an little bit of differ sanding an much better projects so Congrads to you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts