Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make my first project and would like to make some bedside tables like this: http://imgur.com/a/62rvo

My wife likes darker color woods but doesn't like anything that has a dark red color (i.e. cherry). What kind of wood should I use and with what type of finish? I have been thinking of Mahogany or Walnut but I could use something cheaper and put a darker color onto it using dye or stain. Suggestions?

·
7,222 Posts
Wow, my eyes do not see cherry as being dark red, at least not the cherry in my kitchen cabinets or my lumber stock.

I prefer not to stain or dye, but it is personal preference. If I had to change the colour of wood, I think I would use dye. Easier to control the colour and allows the grain to still show it beauty.

If you want dark, the non-stain/non-dye cheapest wood is walnut. I love the rich tones in some pieces. Can be cream in the sap, dark brown in the heart wood and a mix in between. I like working with walnut.

If I had to stain or dye I would likely use ash over oak.

Pricing is local, so what may be inexpensive for me could be more expensive for you.

If you have to go with softwood to save money, then consider poplar, although can be a challenge to stain / dye due to the natural colour variations.

You could consider contrasting colours, dark for the top and drawer front and doors, light for the frame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will try Walnut out and see how it goes.... Thanks for all the feedback.

At my local lumber shop the Walnut and Mahogany are pretty much the same price. IF the tables come out as something I can actually put in my house, then I will probably be back to ask about finishing options.

This project will probably take me some time to complete given that I have a 3 year old and twin 1 year old kids at home. That means my hobbies are relegated late night hours in the garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is funny, family wise you are exactly like me only one year earlier.

We have a 2 yr old now and will be having twins next week. How bad is it going to be in the beginning?
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)

Sleep is something you won't get for at least 6 months. I am pretty sure we ran on 3-5 hours of total sleep a day. I couldn't get away with letting my wife take care of the twins in the middle of the night like I did with my first one, it is just way to much work. Mine were probably even more special because one had colic for 6 months. It was probably the longest 6 months to a year ever, but it is finally starting to get better. I don't envy you that is for sure.

One tidbit of advice I will give you (goes against most parenting books) is that when one baby wakes up to eat you NEED to wake the other one up as well if you want to get any sleep at all. I won't even give any other advice because you will have to find what works to make it through each day, doesn't matter what friends/family/books say.

We have found that no one (unless they have multiples) has any idea how difficult the smallest things end up being. We used to take our oldest anywhere and everywhere when he was a baby, but that stops when you have 2 babies and a toddler. Doom and gloom? pretty much but as they get older it will be awesome to have them all so close in age. My wife and I still say to each other "it will be so much easier x months from now" :)

Right now it is finally getting much better (twins are 18 months) so they are starting to be more self-sufficient and love to play with each other.

If you want any advice on twin oriented stuff I may be able to help so just let me know. Just be happy you aren't having more than twins. I have no idea how people with triplets and above remain sane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my plans were changed by my wife. She wanted a dark color like an espresso or jacobean stain. So I ended up buying Ash since it is the cheapest hardwood in my area, the only problem is that my local lumber supplier does not carry Ash in 1/4 sheets. There will be small panels on the doors (shaker style doors) and also the back panel. What other kind of wood could I use and still make this look good? I know they carry other material in 1/4 sheets like birch and oak, suggestions on what else to use if I can't get Ash?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the panels are not part of the structure for strength.Use the ash your building with.Lots of furniture makers use floating panels.book match,slip match or make it look like one wide board.Leave some room for expansion and shrinkage.You have good taste nice looking tables.

·
Registered
53 Posts
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)

Sleep is something you won't get for at least 6 months. I am pretty sure we ran on 3-5 hours of total sleep a day. I couldn't get away with letting my wife take care of the twins in the middle of the night like I did with my first one, it is just way to much work. Mine were probably even more special because one had colic for 6 months. It was probably the longest 6 months to a year ever, but it is finally starting to get better. I don't envy you that is for sure.

One tidbit of advice I will give you (goes against most parenting books) is that when one baby wakes up to eat you NEED to wake the other one up as well if you want to get any sleep at all. I won't even give any other advice because you will have to find what works to make it through each day, doesn't matter what friends/family/books say.

We have found that no one (unless they have multiples) has any idea how difficult the smallest things end up being. We used to take our oldest anywhere and everywhere when he was a baby, but that stops when you have 2 babies and a toddler. Doom and gloom? pretty much but as they get older it will be awesome to have them all so close in age. My wife and I still say to each other "it will be so much easier x months from now" :)

Right now it is finally getting much better (twins are 18 months) so they are starting to be more self-sufficient and love to play with each other.

If you want any advice on twin oriented stuff I may be able to help so just let me know. Just be happy you aren't having more than twins. I have no idea how people with triplets and above remain sane.

Jordan SD, were you able to build these tables?

BTW, all of your advice was spot on. The girls are now 9 months old and we are finally back to normal nights of sleep of 7-8 hrs (they sleep 10-11). The first 6 months were brutal. They are starting to get mobile and able to start keeping themselves occupied for longer periods of time. It does indeed get better and my wife and I always comment on how much better it will be in x weeks/months.

It is so much better now that I am able to spend a couple hrs in the shop after they go to bed now....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.