Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is either mahogany or spanish cedar, I would certainly lean toward mahogany. With the age of the piece I would suspect that it is east african in origin. ken

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Definitely looks like mahogany to me --- probably Swietenia mahagoni although I'm rarely really sure about that vs Swietenia macrophylla

Less likely would be sapele or sipo or African mahogany (Khaya spp.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Without seeing the other replies, I came up with mahogany too.

·
twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, that good to know.. Phinds, i googled Swietenia mahagoni and found this (below)- looks very similar. I don't know what the strange banding is (as thought the grain flows one way then the other in regular straight bands).. is this natural or made up of several pieces of wood?

Anyway, this banding seems the most striking similarity with my mahogany

Many thanks,
Tom

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks all, that good to know.. Phinds, i googled Swietenia mahagoni and found this (below)- looks very similar. I don't know what the strange banding is (as thought the grain flows one way then the other in regular straight bands).. is this natural or made up of several pieces of wood?

Anyway, this banding seems the most striking similarity with my mahogany
What you refer to as banding is just the grain pattern. Grain running left to right and also out of the board. The nature of the species. Causes tearout if tools are not sharp and the person attempts to plane off too much in a single pass.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
What you refer to as banding is just the grain pattern. Grain running left to right and also out of the board. The nature of the species. Causes tearout if tools are not sharp and the person attempts to plane off too much in a single pass.

+1 on that

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Definitely African Mahogany, also called Sweetenia.
You've got your woods mixed up. Sweetenia is just a misspelling of the genus (Swietenia) for genuine mahogany which is what the rest of us think this is. African mahogany is a semi-related (same family but not genus) wood Khaya spp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts