Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys.

So I am planning on making an Armoire, in the style of the attached picture, for my bedroom. I have all the plans already drawn up and the cutlist laid out. However, I am having trouble deciding what types of hardwood to choose for this project, in order to achieve the same light brown/dark brown color scheme. My idea was to use American Walnut for the entire project and to achieve the contrast on the door panels by using the sapwood portion of the burl veneer for the outer segment while I use the heartwood portion for the inner, darker segment.

The problem here is, that i have never worked with Walnut burl veneer before, so I have no reference on how dark their sapwood is. In tradeschool, we learned that sliced veneers are made from steamed wood, which darkens their sapwood, especially that of American walnut, so I was hoping that the color of the sapwood veneer would roughly match up with the non steamed heartwood frame of the door.

What are your thoughts on this issue and how would you go about achieving the color pattern in the picture, without using stains?

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Selecting the correct veneer isn't really a problem for me, since I am buying from one of the largest European retailers, where you can see detailed pictures of the specific veneers that you are about to buy on their website. What I am looking for is feedback on my material selection. I am a cabinetmaker by trade, yet i have never worked with walnut burl, so I have no idea how its sapwood looks after finishing etc. But somebody should surely have experience with that, especially on how much it differs from the look of normal heartwood.

My fear is, that with my selection, the sapwood portion is going to be far too bright and contrast too much with the frame of the door. Any advice on that?

·
Registered
26,346 Posts
That appears to have been done with two different species of wood using perhaps walnut veneer for face of the panels while using a solid wood burl of a lighter species to make the panels. Then the frame of the doors made out of the straight grain wood of that lighter species.

·
Super Moderator
David
4,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. You can add your name and company name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

I think what Steve said is spot on with the way to go about this. In my experience Walnut burl veneers are going to be darker than Walnut lumber so that may take care of your light/dark question. You might also check out Certainly Wood. I've been buying from them since the mid 80's and they're great to work with.

David

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
My guess without actually seeing the piece is the burl is a Carpathian Burl veneer. This veneer is available in a cloth back or plain. Beautiful wood. I used it on drawers for a desk I built years ago.
It matches up beautifully to Walnut.

That is a beautiful piece and will be a great project for an advanced woodworker.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts