Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. first posting here. thanks in advance for any help.

i have this wood log bed i recently inherited. i think it is very beautiful and unique, but i have no idea what type of wood it is. it seems that there are odd growths and marks from worms i believe, but i really am not sure. i have attached pictures, sorry i could not rotate them. any help identifying what type of wood this is would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
michael

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your opinion Steve. Yes the wood does seem pretty heavy and dense for its size. Are those types of "deformations" common with bodark?

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I think it's made from two types of wood. One being Crepe Myrtle. After many years of different finishes, it's very hard to tell what type of woods.

·
Registered
26,645 Posts
Thanks for your opinion Steve. Yes the wood does seem pretty heavy and dense for its size. Are those types of "deformations" common with bodark?
A bodark tree grows more like a bush than what we think of as a tree. Of course the maker of the bed made the bed in the shape the wood was already. He may also have searched for wood especially deformed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's made from two types of wood. One being Crepe Myrtle. After many years of different finishes, it's very hard to tell what type of woods.
Thank you very much. I can see some similarities in pictures. So are the crossbars crepe myrtle and the uprights are unknown?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bodark tree grows more like a bush than what we think of as a tree. Of course the maker of the bed made the bed in the shape the wood was already. He may also have searched for wood especially deformed.
Wow. Thanks for the picture. That is a great comparison. I can almost see the crossbars of my bed in that bodark tree. Do you think the entire bed is bodark? Or is another type of wood used as earlier suggested?

·
Registered
679 Posts
bois d'arc, or "bow-wood", or around here called Osage orange or hedge. Easily identified by its color, yellow when fresh cut to orangish brown after exposure. Grain pattern looks like mulberry. Very hard, on wood as old as your bed you can not drive a nail into it. If there is a location on your bed that can be accessed out of sight, try the nail first. Identification of old wood, under much finish is very difficult from a photo. I made a mallet out of it 40 years ago and still use it. It was spread far & wide in the 30s & 40s as hedge rows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bois d'arc, or "bow-wood", or around here called Osage orange or hedge. Easily identified by its color, yellow when fresh cut to orangish brown after exposure. Grain pattern looks like mulberry. Very hard, on wood as old as your bed you can not drive a nail into it. If there is a location on your bed that can be accessed out of sight, try the nail first. Identification of old wood, under much finish is very difficult from a photo. I made a mallet out of it 40 years ago and still use it. It was spread far & wide in the 30s & 40s as hedge rows.
Thanks for the help Larry. The bed is in storage right now. When I get some room I will definitely try driving a nail into it. Thanks for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts