Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to create a similar finish and was curious what your thoughts were on the type of wood and finish.

Also, here is the link that shows a few more pics: http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/3769938891.html

Can you see this one? ::

This is the exact finish I am looking for. But, as you can see, the foot board has been re-finished. Not looking at that, what are the other pieces? I was told that it was possibly cherry....any ideas? Thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
Not enough detail, even in the CL link. Pictures too low resolution and not intended to show the details of whatever grain may be present.

This wood appears to have been stained. Perhaps a combination of stain and poly applied.

My eyes may be fooling my due to the low resolution, but I may be seeing very straight, even grain. This would not feel to be cherry.

In order to start guessing, I would want to see detail picture of the end grain.

Take a look at Phind's excellent site. Sorted by species, so you have to begin with a guess on the species, but wonderful detailed pictures, especially of the end grain.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
As best as I can tell from the picture it looks like it may be a wood like soft maple or poplar. The soft maple wouldn't be hard to make that color but the poplar varies in color so much you would have to select wood of uniform color. It would take some tinkering but you could modify a pigmented oil stain with red oxide and black tinting color to achieve that color. Just don't use minwax wood finish stain. It won't accept tinting color. Wood Classics stain from Sherwin Williams would. I would start with Warm Chestnut SW 3114-K. Either wood is prone to blotching so you would need a wood conditioner prior to staining.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I have looked and looked and can not find a better res image of this bed, so I have to play it by "ear" (eye). I have Googled some dark mahogany finishes and they look similar. What do you think?

I can see more grain here, but the color and texture seem to be right from what I can tell. I do not think my client cares much, as long as it looks similar. Ideas?

Also, it seems they veneered the entire piece. At least all of the end grain is veneered from what I can tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.