Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a dining room table out of doug fir and I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect the wood, if anything. I stained the whole thing first and then painted over it. Normally the paint would be all I would need, however I was going for that distressed, old worn look so I used my sander to basically take away a lot of the paint. So there's some paint covered areas and some areas of just the stained wood showing. Not sure if I should use anything to protect/seal it. Normally I would use poly, should I just do that? Some type of oil or wax? Or something completely different?

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I'm making a dining room table out of doug fir and I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect the wood, if anything. I stained the whole thing first and then painted over it. Normally the paint would be all I would need, however I was going for that distressed, old worn look so I used my sander to basically take away a lot of the paint. So there's some paint covered areas and some areas of just the stained wood showing. Not sure if I should use anything to protect/seal it. Normally I would use poly, should I just do that? Some type of oil or wax? Or something completely different?
Personally I would put some kind of film finish over a table top because of the exposure to water. What you will have to finish over the wood with will have to be a product compatible with the paint you used. Also keep in mind if you go over the paint with an oil based clear coat it will have an initial yellowing to it and continue to yellow as it ages further affecting the color of the paint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts