Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Please bear with me as I am looking for what I need to get my husband for Xmas to make dadoes :) Before today, I had never heard of one, so I am not familiar with all the terminology and hope I can explain this well enough to get some help!

He has a Ryobi Table Saw already - It looks like this one -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-RTS21/202517810#

I want to know if the accessory kit that is mentioned in the manual will do what he needs or if he needs another tool all together. If so, what exactly is that tool.

What he needs is a dado that will allow a 3/4" thick piece of plywood with a 1 inch vertical cut out to make an "x" shaped base with a 2X4. So the dado would need to be cut into the 2x4 and then the plywood would slide up it the 2x4 to make the base.

Will this table saw he has allow him to do this?
If so, what specific blade(s) would he need to accomplish this that are compatible with this table?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
7,222 Posts
If you want to purchase what is called a dado set then look at this recent thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/buying-dado-set-opinions-57948/

The term dado set is due to having several blades of different widths. By stacking different combinations of blades a given thickness of cut is achieved.

Note your husband can cut a dado by making several passes with the present blade. A dado set saves time by making the cut in one pass.

The insert in the table saw may constrain how wide a cut he can make.

Also check the table saw manual for the length of the arbor. A dado set is a lot wider than a blade. The dado set specification will state the minimum length of the arbor needed to attach, e.g., 5/8in.

There are other ways to cut a groove, router, hand saw and chisel, etc.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
As Dave mentioned, to cut a dado with a table saw, he'll either need to make several passes with a single blade, or use a stacked dado set. The best value I know of in a dado set is the Avenger 6" model from Amazon for $53 shipped....there's not much else for less that's worth spending any money on IMHO.

You can also cuts dados with a router and a straight router bit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Found this on page 39 of the link you provided for the table saw...

089037008711 Dado Throat Plate with Special Washer

This is the insert Dave Paine speaks of in his post.

They also list a dado set under accessories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thank you everyone for all of your help!

I found a site to order the dado throat plate and got him a Freud 6" Super Dado Set 5/8" Arbor. He will be using this a lot in the near future, so I wanted to get something that will last and be consistent.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
It sounds like you already ordered it, but you might want to measure the arbor hole in the saw blades he uses in that table saw to make sure of the arbor size. Bigger saws have a 1" arbor...not 5/8". I don't know what the Ryobi saw has.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know this is a bit late.. But for dadoes I prefer to use a router, especially for plywood. 3/4 inch plywood is rarely 3/4" thick - you can set up a stacked dado with shims to match but I find it easier to use straight bits to match the size of the plywood - Whiteside sells a 3 piece kit that has bits for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch plywood and makes a nice tight flat bottomed dado.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like you already ordered it, but you might want to measure the arbor hole in the saw blades he uses in that table saw to make sure of the arbor size. Bigger saws have a 1" arbor...not 5/8". I don't know what the Ryobi saw has.
The manual specifically said 5/8" But thank you! I had no clue what an arbor was before I found this forum :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this is a bit late.. But for dadoes I prefer to use a router, especially for plywood. 3/4 inch plywood is rarely 3/4" thick - you can set up a stacked dado with shims to match but I find it easier to use straight bits to match the size of the plywood - Whiteside sells a 3 piece kit that has bits for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch plywood and makes a nice tight flat bottomed dado.
What is a stacked dado? And a router is a hand tool, correct? Do they come on tables too like a saw?

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
no problem there

That little saw will have a 5/8" arbor. However, according to the description, it will only accept a 1/2" wide stack. :thumbdown: The OP was hoping for a 3/4" dado....oh..oh. Now that IS a problem. A larger/wider throat plate MAY solve it, but I fear the saw's arbor will be too short for a full 3/4" stack., an that's where the 1/2" dado description comes in.
Now what? You could use a router and guide as suggested. Remember the plywood available these days is not the full 3/4" dimension, rather 23/32" so you'll need router bits like these:
Freud 89-660 Undersized Plywood Router Bit Set 1/4 -Inch Shank, 3-Piece - Amazon.com

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
What is a stacked dado? And a router is a hand tool, correct? Do they come on tables too like a saw?
A stacked dado is a series of blades that get "stacked" together, to cut a groove. The width of the groove depends on which blade combinations are used. That particular saw specifications say it's ½" dado capable. I'm assuming that the arbor (threaded shaft that the blades mount on) isn't long enough for a ¾" stack, and able to get the nut on the shaft to hold the blades.

I prefer to make dadoes with a router. It's actually a motor with a connection at the base to insert different bits to perform different cuts. It can be handheld, or mounted underneath a table.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I got this off page 35 of the manual for the saw:

"An optional dado throat plate is required for this procedure (see the Accessories section of this manual and check with the retailer where the table saw was purchased). All blades and dado sets must not be rated less than the speed of this tool. This saw is designed for 5/8 in. dado cuts. With the purchase of an optional dado throat plate, it can be used with a 6 in. stack dado (up to width of 3/4 in.). Do not use an adjustable dado or molding cutters on this saw."

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/be/be5b9fb4-ea91-4874-bc47-b3ead9c85128.pdf

Sounds like you will be fine with dado set ordered. :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got this off page 35 of the manual for the saw:

"An optional dado throat plate is required for this procedure (see the Accessories section of this manual and check with the retailer where the table saw was purchased). All blades and dado sets must not be rated less than the speed of this tool. This saw is designed for 5/8 in. dado cuts. With the purchase of an optional dado throat plate, it can be used with a 6 in. stack dado (up to width of 3/4 in.). Do not use an adjustable dado or molding cutters on this saw."

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/be/be5b9fb4-ea91-4874-bc47-b3ead9c85128.pdf

Sounds like you will be fine with dado set ordered. :smile:
:eek: Phew! I got nervous for a second! Thanks for this info!

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
I hope it will be OK, but ...

You or hubby must be certain that when the full 3/4" stack is mounted to the saw, there is a least one full thread showing after the nut is tightened up. You probably can't use the blade washer as you normally would with just a blade. There must be enough threads to securely hold the dado stack o, usually calling for 1 1/2 threads, but I would think a full thread would be OK. JMO..

This is why I believe that the 1/2" width was part of the description. The additional throat plate will NOT change the length of the arbor shaft, just allow a wider stack of blades. SO, read the manual and make certain you will be SAFE! :yes:

Reactions: chipmunk226

·
John
3,028 Posts
From page 35 of the manual:

"Mount the dado blade, according to manufacturer instructions, using the blade and chippers appropriate for the desired width of cut.

Reinstall the blade nut.
NOTE: The blade washer may be used provided the arbor shaft extends slightly beyond the arbor nut.
Make sure the blade nut is fully engaged and the arbor extends past a securely tightened blade nut."

From page 39:

"The following recommended accessories are currently available at retail stores:
089037008711 Dado Throat Plate with Special Washer"

I don't know, but suspect that the "Special Washer" is thinner. It also sounds as though the standard throat plate is only 5/8" wide requiring the optional to go with a 3/4" stack.

Not sure how to interpret the note. Whether or not to run without the washer? I have run dado sets without the Belleville washer but wasn't terribly comfortable doing it and ultimately switched to settling for a narrower dado and multiple passes... If it don't feel right, it probably isn't.:smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

It also sounds as though the standard throat plate is only 5/8" wide requiring the optional to go with a 3/4" stack.

When I make blank throat plates, I make many...as long as I'm making them. If I use a moulding cutter, or a dado set, I will use (make for the cutter) a fresh throat plate for the specific setup.

·
Registered
159 Posts
He will be surprised and happy you got him a nice set I bet. Good job. My wife bought me a real nice router table one time. I had a funny look on my face and she said what's the matter? I said ,I wish I had a router!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts