Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building another cedar porch swing and would like to know what you all think about finishing. I have tried painting, teak oil. And high dollar spar finish. Not happy with any so far.

·
Registered
Termite
8,781 Posts
I am building another cedar porch swing and would like to know what you all think about finishing. I have tried painting, teak oil. And high dollar spar finish. Not happy with any so far.
Kinda hard to answer. What didn't you like about the other finishes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paint covered up all the color (we knew it would), the teak oil was a lot of work to get it on and then polished before it dried, and the spar varnish we just did and delivered to our son but it will be a pain to reapply

·
Registered
28,781 Posts
Could you describe what you are unhappy with. There are a lot of different finishes which could be used but it depends on the taste of the user which is best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told at a new lumber yard to use an oil based product, but not pure oil, that I can spray on to reapply. That sounds good to me, down here in the gulf cost anything outside takes a beating. So I will have to reapply regularly. Now does anyone have any idea what would work well, they didn’t stock anything, he wasn’t forthcoming, and I didn’t want to push my luck with them. I like this lumber yard.

·
Premium Member
Cabinetmaker
77 Posts
I was told at a new lumber yard to use an oil based product, but not pure oil, that I can spray on to reapply. That sounds good to me, down here in the gulf cost anything outside takes a beating. So I will have to reapply regularly. Now does anyone have any idea what would work well, they didn’t stock anything, he wasn’t forthcoming, and I didn’t want to push my luck with them. I like this lumber yard.
What ever product you decide to use, I would apply it with a brush or a pad. Spraying does not penetrate the wood enough, for good outdoor protection.

- Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was planning on the first two coats with a brush then put it together. After that spray it on about every 10-12 months. The wife and I have done some research and I think we are going to try nano penetrating wood sealer by seal once. Anyone know anything about it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts