Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a craftsman 10" table saw, the top had a lot of surface rust. scrubbed it up with some mineral spirits and got the miter guage to work (rusted fast), but the boards seem to stick, they don't run across the top smooth when trying to cut, there isn't any pitting in the top. what could I use to coat the top that won't mess up the finish on the wood? I also have to get another/fix the miter gauge it's about 1/16th off, not good when cutting miters:furious:. the miter gauge has 3 holes one for zero, and one at 45 degrees on both sides, I can set the gauge at 45 and it's right on, but it keeps wanting to slip into the holes/slots in the guage and they are what's off measurement. the fella I bought it from said that these old craftsmans fences were not that good and that I should purchase a new better quality one. the fence is square and striaght, so what is the matter with them?

the saw is a Craftsman Model 113.241680 10" flex drive table saw. got it for $50.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I recently bought a craftsman 10" table saw, the top had a lot of surface rust. scrubbed it up with some mineral spirits and got the miter guage to work (rusted fast), but the boards seem to stick, they don't run across the top smooth when trying to cut, there isn't any pitting in the top. what could I use to coat the top that won't mess up the finish on the wood? I also have to get another/fix the miter gauge it's about 1/16th off, not good when cutting miters:furious:. the miter gauge has 3 holes one for zero, and one at 45 degrees on both sides, I can set the gauge at 45 and it's right on, but it keeps wanting to slip into the holes/slots in the guage and they are what's off measurement. the fella I bought it from said that these old craftsmans fences were not that good and that I should purchase a new better quality one. the fence is square and striaght, so what is the matter with them?

the saw is a Craftsman Model 113.241680 10" flex drive table saw. got it for $50.
i didn't read any other post's , but if you get some RUST-OFF, and some T-9 after , that's all you need, now this stuff smell's bad so use in a venalation space and use gloves , but this will bring the top back to look like new with out lot's of work, now their are lot's of opion's out their but this the best i have found, you can get this stuff at a sear's store, for sure or call around , good luck here is a link as to what it look's like http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/rustfree/

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
I put lots on things on the top of my saw. Usually whatever is in my hands and I need a place to put it down. It serves as just another table during those times it is not being used.

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Try this out.

Rust removal

The rust in my video is considerably less than what you are dealing with, but the process is the same.
+1. :yes: Good video...thanks. They have a new name for it now...Glide Cote.

Some info on it...

BOSTIK® GlLIDECOTE® features a unique fluoropolymer technology that dramatically reduces sliding friction on table saws while it repels dust, dirt, moisture and prevents corrosion. Its dry formula contains no silicone or petroleum and it will never stain wood or interfere with glues or finishes.

GlideCote forms a durable, water-repelling dry film on saw tables and tool surfaces to reduce sliding friction and eliminate surface "hang ups." Compared to paste wax, GlideCote is 30% slicker, prevents rust longer and is easier to use.

Benefits:
Contains no silicone
Prevents rust 5 times longer than wax or silicone
Lasts 3 times longer than wax

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i remove the rust with any mechanical method necessary - steel wool/wd40 usually does it, but i have chucked up a wirecup brush in the electric drill. i think you'll find a number of products to coat the top after the rust is removed boeshield and topcoat are 2 other. i don't like wax, because it wears out fast and gets on your wood - not a good thing for the finishing phase.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
I bought GlideCote. In my personal experience, the only thing in that string of marketing talk that's true is that it's easy to apply. Longer lasting? Maybe a little, but 5 times longer lasting? Oh hell no. Prevents rust? Not significantly. Dramatically reduces friction? Not really. It's still worth it since paste wax is a pain to apply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.