Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Powermatic PM2000 delivered Friday. Got it all put together, this thing's SWEEEET!!!!! (sorry for the gloat!! ;-) I cleaned off the surface coating the factory puts on, I'm wondering if I should apply a coat of car wax or something to prevent rust? I have read that car wax is OK, but also that only floor wax should be used, as car wax contains silicone (though I'm not sure all car waxes do). I've also seen this mentioned:http://www.apar-supply.com/botosuluandr1.html and this http://www.amazon.com/PMS-Products-...U8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-7249933-2372635 I'm wondering what people here are using. Specific product recommendations appreciated!!!

TIA

Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use Johnsons paste wax on mine. I had been using just oil but down here in Florida it just doesn't last long enough. The wax has no silicones in it. I hate silicone near wood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Is this a floor wax? Several people have suggest it, so I'll give it a try. Hate to seem dim, but could you describe the container so I know what to look for? So often there's a whole "line" of products under one name, I want to be sure to get the right one.

Dan

EDIT: Is this the one:

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
My container is a round "tin" about 2-3 inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 high with a pry-off lid. You rub it in with a cloth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Is this a floor wax? Several people have suggest it, so I'll give it a try. Hate to seem dim, but could you describe the container so I know what to look for? So often there's a whole "line" of products under one name, I want to be sure to get the right one.

Dan

EDIT: Is this the one:
Thats it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have seen "Top Coat" mentioned, a couple comments on Amazon weren't too favorable (though others were) for whatever that's worth. One person said "I have used TOPCOTE spray for several years on my table saw. This product does not seem to look or last like the old orange colored can or the real old pump spray bottle that I use to get. The current stuff now has a white flakey coating that flakes off and is sticky, the boards don't seem to slide like before." Over all, the product got at 3 out of 5 from 13 reviewers, Again, for what that's worth.

Think I might start with wax just to get something on there while I continue to check other products, like "table top lube" which I just came across http://www.empiremfg.com/products/otc/tabletop/index.html

·
Registered
419 Posts
The best way I have found to keep

rust from forming on my table saw is to keep passing wood over it. Seems that the friction generated by the soft carress of the wood fibers activates the natural rust repellant imbued in all quality saw tables.

Well, you have already recieved plenty of great advice so let me just say, congratulations on your newest (surely not the last) acquisition and keep us posted on how you put it to good use.

Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies on this, just applied the 2nd coat of Johnson's, will buff it out in about an hour.

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a block of candle wax that I use. I just rub it over the surface and buff it with a pc. of old denim. It's harder than the floor wax and lasts a long time. One side of the block is flat from the table, and the other is notched from the many screws I've dragged across it to make them easier to drive in hardwoods. It's solid, not paste so there's never any 'squeezeout" from the screws, just flakes you can brush away. I've been using the same 4 x 6 block for about 10 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the other guys Johnsons paste wax has worked well for me. I live in southern louisiana and rust is always a problem with the high humidity we have year round and I have used Johnsons on all my table tops and no rust. Also it leaves a really smooth surface that the wood will just glide almost like its on a cushion of air, and as mentioned before no silicone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts