Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.....

So i'm building my router table, and the top is going to be 2 3/4 inch sheets of MDF laminated together.....then topped with laminate.

My current problem is figuring out what to do on the edges. I've looked at t-molding......but I had planned on having square corners on the table so t-molding isn't going to work real well on the corners.

I considered using laminate on the edges......but then I can't use a roundover bit on the corners as the edges still won't be covered...

My old desk at work had 1/8th inch plastic of some sort that was used for edging....but I can't seem to locate any edging like that...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...so PVC edge banding......1 5/8 3mm banding is what I need......anyone know where to get it in small quantities?

·
Registered
60 Posts
1/4" thick pieces of oak beveled at the top is what I used on my top. It gives it a nice looking transition with the white top.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered using hard maple.....but was really hoping for a more commercialized look.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Ryan, I used #20 biscuits and maple. 6 biscuits on the long edge and 5 on the short. Worked great and no visable fasteners.
I staggered them on both layers of MDF.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
My router table top is 2 layers of 3/4 Baltic Birch and covered with HPL. (a.k.a. Formica) I edged it with oak, 3/4 x 1. Then I used a 7/8 round over and set the bit so that it cut 1/64 into the HPL. The table has a white HPL top with nice soft rounded edges.

I have to ask, why the need for the commercial look?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I used oak...and I rounded off the corners so I wouldn't get jabbed in the side...and I like rounded things. Your preference might vary.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know no one will see it but me....but I'd like to make it look as factory created as possible which leads me back to.... Anyone know where I can buy 3mm PVC edge banding 1 5/8 wide? All I've found is commercial producers with no retail establishment.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I've thought to use that product too but was not able to find a supplier. It does tend to shrink over time and pull away but does have a nice look.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MT Stringer said:
Ryan, I found some 1 1/2 inch black for ya. I was thinking you could treat the bottom side of the table with a bevel bit and it would just fade out of sight. Mike

Hey Mike. Thanks....the t molding is curved, which makes the corners problematic. I was looking for flat 3mm PVC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts