Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

I'd appreciate some help in determining what direction to take with my storm damaged boxelder. It came down in the storms on early Wednesday morning (8/7). I've got most of the small stuff cleaned up and am left with what is in the pictures. I was going to hack it up and give it to my buddy with an outdoor wood boiler, but I now understand that there are woodworkers out there that like this stuff.

I assume there is some pretty nice figuring where that tangle of branches comes together on the main trunk (assuming there is no rot). I can see there is also some red or pink streaking just about everywhere the trunk and branches have split.

First questions...what kind of lengths/diameters should I be saving? Which parts?

Second... Is there any value to it? I'll probably just give it away, but would hate to do so if there is real value in it.

Last... Any other considerations I'm not aware of? In other words, what should I do?

Thanks

Jake

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
some of the most beautidul wood I know

I found out about it by accident. My buddy had some B E logs in his burn pile and when I saw the end grain I wanted some. I made this from it:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/woodnthings-7194/albums/arch-top-keepsake-box/

This is the build thread:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/keepsake-box-step-step-13808/#post107389

It's going to be very wet and smell funky, but if you slab it it may dry with a cup as mine did. I just made use of the cup and made it into the pieces for the lid. It sounds easier than it was.... :yes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I got a phone call about it last night from a relative who knows a guy who is into turning. That's when I started researching.

That lead me here and to some of the beautiful projects that folks have 'turned out'. I've never considered a boxelder as anything but a garbage tree, marginal at best for firewood. My attitude changed pretty quickly.

Of course we won't know if this tree has those great qualities until it gets further along, but it seems worthy of a shot.

I just don't know how it should be handled. I'd hate to cut it like firewood and have someone think, "I wish he'd have just left me a couple more inches on that branch." Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
I don't think I would worry about trying to get any planks out of that tree. It's not that straight and has many limbs. But it would be good for turning stock if the red streaking is going through it. If you have any turners in your area, try and get one to stop by and have a can of marking paint handy. Let him show you where to cut it and spray away. If it were mine, I would cut out the crotch areas and where the major limbs came off. If you cut out the crotch, cut about a foot above and below the crotch. Same thing where the limbs are. There rest, I would cut into 2' lengths and that could be further cut into smaller turning blanks on a bandsaw.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, Hopefully it can be used for turning. I never thought of planking. I tried to leave extra wood above and below any crotches and large branches as firehawk suggested. The red streaking seems more pronounced on one side's branches than the other.

Hopefully they're worth someone's time. I hope I didn't screw up what would otherwise be useful wood for a project. Here's a couple more photos.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts