Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some rough sawn wood and a 15" planner. I have no dust collection system. The planner will be the only tool i use the dust collector on. What shouls i get? I dont have deep pockets so the cheaper the better. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well a lot depends on what you plan to do in the future. If that's the only thing going to be hooked up for a while a dust pan and a broom will work and won't get much cheaper.

I do hear good things about harbor freights dust collector being good and you can pick that up with a coupon for $150.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The harbor freight unit is pretty good, and at 150 bucks with a coupon it's hard to beat. Now it does only run on a 20 amp 110 outlet....which can be an issue. Also have you considered a used unit off of Craigslist?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in Tiffin. Northwest ohio. I have been looking at the hf unit. I have to wire an outlet for my planner. It runs off 220v and all i have is 110. But i have easy access to the breaker box in the garage and adding 220 wont be a problem. Will i need a dedicated line for the hf unit with a 20 amp breaker then? Thanks Anthony

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...... Will i need a dedicated line for the hf unit with a 20 amp breaker then?......
that's the preferred way to do it so that when it's running, no one can activate another current using item on the same circuit and trip the breaker.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most definitely put the HF on a circuit by itself, that is what I ended up doing. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So should i make a separator? Or can i run it the way it is? Im thinking i can make one for about 30 bucks. Thanks

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I put a filter on top of mine, and installed a baffle in it....and I've been pretty happy so far.

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Yeah, get a separator. That 15" planar will make chips faster than you can empty the bag. A trash can separator is the way to go.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
With a 12 gallon capacity and a 15 Inch planer, you'll be emptying that every 10 minutes. You need a full size with a minimum of 4 inch hose in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have the HF model with a 30 gallon drum upstream of it...with a Thein separator mounted inside the lid. I use it for the table saw, jointer, and Dewalt planer. No problems.

I have since installed the nano filter cartridge from Wynn Environmental. I also use the flexible hose from Rockler that stretches/contracts as I hook it up to the different tools.

Note: All of my stuff is in a one car garage. Dust collector sits in one spot and I move the hose as needed.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So should i make a separator? Or can i run it the way it is? Im thinking i can make one for about 30 bucks. Thanks
when talking with phil about DC and separator performance, he noted that many WWs use a baffle equipped separator when using machines that are generators of large volumes of chips, like jointers and planers. when using sanders, TSs, BSs, RASs, etc, the separator is removed from the airflow for maximum performance,

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I just thumbed through the latest edition of Wood Magazine. The Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector is advertised for $149.

That is what I paid for mine when I bought it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most definitely put the HF on a circuit by itself, that is what I ended up doing. :)
I checked on it a year or two ago and it was 13a. Unless that has changed, there is certainly room for a few lights or the like on a 20a circuit.

The bag is worthless, but ought to be okay for a planer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts