·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC00696.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

i bought a box of sharpening stones and other tools at an auction and this was in the box if anyone can tell me what it is i would be grateful, and probably feel pretty stupid for not knowing. it has two leveling bubbles in it and a spring loaded adjuster that looks like it clamps on a guide or something.

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
My GUESS is that it is a gauge to set and or check the bevel angle on plane irons and chisels. It appears that the moveable arm on the left can swing up and into the slot. Interesting indeed, keep us posted :eek::yes:
JackM

·
Registered
8 Posts
That Thing

It certainly looks like part of a combination square and back in April Patrick Leach had something for sale that really sounds like the tool in your photos, but by the time I looked, his photo had apparently been removed. I'd recommend you send him a photo and ask. I think his e-mail is [email protected]

Jim McNamara

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like a bumpston flopster, probably 1909 vintage. Can't check your bumpston without your flopster now can you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's an angle gage, a sort of multi-tool that attaches to a rule so you can lay out angles of 90% and 45%, check for level, and you even have a small 2 inch rule attached. Stanley made a similar tool from about 1911 to 1935 whcich could even lay out a 30% angle. Their's was called a No. 2 Three Angle Rule Tool. It's a neat tool, but not very practical, and was probably made in the 1930s or 1940s.

Lynn

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well............................

does that mean that it is not a Bumpston Flopster?

Ed

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I ran acros a BFS (Bumpston Flopster Stretcher) this weekend at Trades Days. In case your BF is too short you can attach a BFS for a prescribed amount of time and make it bigger.
Nothing worse than tackling a job only to find out your Bumpston Flopster is not up to the task.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"In case your BF is too short you can attach a BFS for a prescribed amount of time and make it bigger."

In the event you overstretch it ( something I hope never happens to you) you can compress it back to size with this:

Lynn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts