Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was commissioned once again to make a knitting accessory made of wood. Well in this case it’s more of a spinning accessory. My friend that knits also took up the hobby of spinning her own yarn. So this thing is used to wind the yarn on to hold and stretch it after it’s been spun. BTW I get another scarf out of the deal.

The arms are made from poplar 1x2’s glued together. This resulted in a cool almost book matched effect. The handle is a 1” poplar dowel.

This was also the 1st thing that touched my new router table (with a round over bit). Even before I installed the incra fence or miter track.

Here’s the final result:

And some pics of the production:

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's pretty cool! My first thought was you should try your hand at making a recurve bow. The grain in that poplar looks really nice too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think of that joe! My 1st thought was I should try a duck decoy as it kinda reminded me of a duck's bill...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I didn't think of that joe! My 1st thought was I should try a duck decoy as it kinda reminded me of a duck's bill...

Right after I posted that I googled recurve bows and learned that they are primarily made up of wood and fiberglass laminate..:huh: But it looks like the center where you hold it could be solid wood. I've been learned.

Decoys would be an easier experiment anyway. There is a huge decoy show in south jersey every year that I used to go to. The craftsmanship on some of those is incredible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend got her niddy noddy and likes it so far. Here is a pic of it in action with some yarn that she recently spun. This is the larger of the two handles I made for her which produces an 80” skein.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts