Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Okay ... I see the Gripper.
Forgive, but I still can't quite understand what I am looking at in Pirate's picture.

Is that part with the knob sliding along the top of the fence? With only the thin white plastic piece holding the wood?

It's like an optical illusion, with things out of scale or something. My mind just can grasp what I am seeing.

·
Registered
26,312 Posts
Push sticks? I worked for a guy one time that held his thumb up and said it doesn't look like 7/8" and preceded to rip a strip only to find out soon it was bigger than 7/8". It barely nicked him but he soon learned the use of a push stick. The guy was a jeweler that bought into a woodshop because he thought he wanted to do woodworking. By the time I worked there he had gotten out of the shop and spent most of his time in the office.

·
where's my table saw?
27,851 Posts
here's a simple version

Okay ... I see the Gripper.
Forgive, but I still can't quite understand what I am looking at in Pirate's picture.

Is that part with the knob sliding along the top of the fence? With only the thin white plastic piece holding the wood?

YES.
These have different thicknesses of pusher plates for different thickness it needs to push along. They also slide on top of the fence,which should be a rectangular section like a Biesemeyer. See the small leg that comes off the bottom, to catch the wood and push it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pirate thank you for the response. I have trouble with the wood veering away from the fence when cutting very thin stock like this. Do you have a riving knife that keeps it on track for you??

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Pirate thank you for the response. I have trouble with the wood veering away from the fence when cutting very thin stock like this. Do you have a riving knife that keeps it on track for you??

I just hand hold a piece of scrap wood against the stock, holding it against the fence, before the blade.
Have had no problems with it.
For ripping wider, long boards, or plywood, I use a Vega "stock feeder"
It's a canted spring loaded roller, and works great to keep stock down, and it holds it against the fence good.
I don't use the anti kick back part, next to the roller. Never needed it.
Ripping with the roller, you don't have to try to keep it against the fence, after starting the cut. Just push it thru.
It's made to attach to the Vega fence. I modified it for my Jet Exacta fence, with t track
Picture below.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts