Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
The 8 gallons doesn't tell much about the compressor and I can't open the link with my internet. Its the cfm that matters. You would probably need a compressor that delivers at least 7 cfm at 40psi for light use. I think you could do much better at harbor freight. I don't know what their compressors run but I use a #97855 sprayer I get there for about 16 bucks with a 20% off coupon. It's a siphon sprayer. I think a siphon sprayer works much better for wood finishes and the HVLP sprayers use more air anyway.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 8 gallon doesn't tell much about the compressor. It's the cfm that matters. I've had to paint a house before with a little compressor that was only 7.2 cfm at 40 psi. It did the job but I had to stop from time to time to let it catch up. A hundred bucks won't buy much of a compressor. If all you are working on it small projects the money might be better spent on a portable air tank for more storage with the compressor you have. You could link the tank to your compressor and air them up and be able to spray your project before the pressure would drop too much to spray. Also the HVLP sprayers use more air than a siphon sprayer. I use a #97855 siphon sprayer from harbor freight I can get for about 16 bucks with a 20% off coupon.
I have a HF 8 gallon compressor. Air delivery: 4.5 CFM @ 90 PSI. I am trying to get a decent spray system based on that.

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
I have a HF 8 gallon compressor. Air delivery: 4.5 CFM @ 90 PSI. I am trying to get a decent spray system based on that.
4.5 CFM @ 90 PSI is a little small for some things. You could spray a project the size of a chair with it but I don't think you could spray something the size of a dining room table top before you would run out of air. The compressor just couldn't keep up.

I wrote this reply twice and don't know if you read the one I deleted. If you would get a extra tank such as a portable air tank and link the tanks together it would give you enough volume before it would run down so you could spray a table top. It's the continious spraying that is a problem with a compressor that is too small.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got to rockler and look af their hvlp system I think its on sale right now for $119. That low of a cfm will get you nowhere.

http://www.rockler.com/m/product.cfm?page=10469

I have a 30 gallon air compressor and it does not cut the mustard, plus theres a lot of overspray with that type of system. The rockler system runs off 4 psi I believe and really helps to eliminate the overspray

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a 8 gallon compressor and want to use it to finish my projects. I don't do lots of volume. Any recommendations for under 100 bucks?

I was looking at this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-34-Piece-Spray-Gun-Kit/12534872

Any ideas are welcomed!
how much work are you going to do? this sprayer you are looking at, in my opion it is just above junk and will not do you a good job, now if you want a good unit , i use the finish line sprayer from a auto parts house that mix paint for auto's and this one will spray all day with a good comp, i belive mine is a 60 gal and it handles all i ever spray, it is a HVLP with a fluid adjustnent and a fan adjustment which you need both for a good job, i use lacquer all the time good stuff not anything from the box store's USE M.L.CAMPBELL or get the item's from sherman williams which is good also , not i use 30lbs air and a 2mm nozell for lacquer, i don't use poly of any kind, i don't like it , it take's to long to dry, i can finish a item in one day with lacquer and be done, i make jewelry box's and trinkit box's so i like to get them done, the lacquer is a cabnet grade so it is a good hard finish, so do your self a faver and get a good sprayer not a 20 buck thing

·
where's my table saw?
27,870 Posts

·
Paul
24 Posts
Got to rockler and look af their hvlp system I think its on sale right now for $119. That low of a cfm will get you nowhere.

http://www.rockler.com/m/product.cfm?page=10469

I have a 30 gallon air compressor and it does not cut the mustard, plus theres a lot of overspray with that type of system. The rockler system runs off 4 psi I believe and really helps to eliminate the overspray
I just bough one, but haven't used it yet. Its a complete system that has it's own air supply system and no need for a big compressor. I heard a lot of good things about it and looking forward to using it. Unlike systems that use a compressor this lets you spray for long times and not have to worry about the Air compressor getting up to pressure.

·
Village Idiot
4,973 Posts
Provided that 8 gal unit you mentioned having can put out roughly 8cfm at 40 psi, AMD most can, I'd say pick up one of the guns from harbor freight. That what I did, and the little bugger works fine for me. Only disadvantage is that the gun is barney purple

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Whatever you decide to get, I would definitely pick up a gravity feed gun if possible. Since your just starting out, I would go for the cheapest gun you can get that will work with your current set up, such as the harbor freight one suggested, and practice with it. Then later on move up. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
Whatever you decide to get, I would definitely pick up a gravity feed gun if possible. Since your just starting out, I would go for the cheapest gun you can get that will work with your current set up, such as the harbor freight one suggested, and practice with it. Then later on move up. Just remember, you get what you pay for.
The gravity feed gun Harbor Freight sells is pretty crummy. It has a cap that screws on the cup like a mason jar and easily gets paint in the threads and is terrible to get unscrewed once it's been used for a while.

·
Village Idiot
4,973 Posts
The gravity feed gun Harbor Freight sells is pretty crummy. It has a cap that screws on the cup like a mason jar and easily gets paint in the threads and is terrible to get unscrewed once it's been used for a while.
Yeah, I won't argue about the cup, but [email protected]#$, it was 99c!

Okay, it was $12 but it works well

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Oh. That's why I said you get what you pay for, lol.

I use binks gravity feed guns with the Teflon cups. Alot easier to clean over the aluminum cups. I also have a separate one to spray catalyzed products with and I have one with a bigger tip size to spray higher viscosity water based products with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go to Jeff Jewitt's page (Homestead Finishing) and have a look around. His brand of guns are well made & perform extremely well, they are reasonably priced and the service is unbeatable.
My 2 cents worth - forego the Harbor Freight guns with the exception of the small touch-up HVLP gun - you get what you pay for.

·
Paul
24 Posts
Fine Woodworking has just published their review in their magazine. That for the HVLP systems. I just bought a Rockler System that is not rated that good. But it's my first and didn't cost much so I'll try it out and see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts