Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Smart and Cool
2,303 Posts
Not that Melamine doesn't hold screws well in general, but with pocket holes. I have made a table for my mom for the garage with white melamine and the screws are just fine. I used the drill with low clutch speed, so the screw won't be running free in there. But it won't receive the same beating or movement as the large oversized cabinets/doors. My only concern is how to make the base strong and how do I attach the melamine sheets to the base and how should I build a base? Shoot Summ mentioned above the base and the box - I'm not sure what does that means, tbh. I need to see a pic to understand that concept haha.

I'm not really concerned about the exposed screws. But if I want to cover them, I can either use the cover disk, you mentioned, or apply white silicone.

I did not know that melamine had different grades? I did a google search and could not find any "commercial grade" melamine sheets.

I bought these hinges:
You mentioned " I am building a boxed frame on the floor of 2x4s so it stays off the ground a bit" in your first post, that is what I would call a "base", the cabinet will sit on top of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You mentioned " I am building a boxed frame on the floor of 2x4s so it stays off the ground a bit" in your first post, that is what I would call a "base", the cabinet will sit on top of it.
Ahh gotcha. I think I just got a bit confused with the wording where you mentioned the BOX.

Bc you mentioned, " I would build the base, set the box on top of it, and screw through the bottom of the box into the base, fill the screw holes with silicone if it matters to you."

The BOX, do you mean the box as in the melamine sheets sit on each side and screwing it from the bottom of the base and upwards as it creates a box?

If I understand you correctly, the concept stays the same as plywood, but instead of pocket holes into the base using plywood, I would just insert screws from under the base into the melamine edges?

If screwing it from the base up into the melamine edges, what # and size screws should I use? I understand they got to be coarse-thread screws. 2 1/2 inch screws? Since the base will be of 2x4s, technically we all know they are roughly 1.5 inches instead of 2.

If you guys think 70inches is a bit too tall for the melamine, I can lower it down to 65 inches and leave more space on the top.

And for the brace in the back to the wall stud, I think 2 should be enough, for each cabinet? One on top and one in the middle.

I apologize if some of my questions are repetitive. I just really want to make sure that I do this right and move on to the next home project. :D

·
Smart and Cool
2,303 Posts
I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it seems. Probably best for you to draw up what you want to do and see if some of the other folks can help. I've tried but I don't think we are on the same wave length here. Not a big deal, I just don't have time to work through this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it seems. Probably best for you to draw up what you want to do and see if some of the other folks can help. I've tried but I don't think we are on the same wave length here. Not a big deal, I just don't have time to work through this.

Good luck!
Well, i did get most of what you explained, but you lost me when you said the base and box.

My base would made of 2x4s in a ladder shape and two cabinets will sit on one long base. To which you mentioned to insert the screws from the bottom of the base upward into the Melamine edge. I got that part. But i was lost at the Box part.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
You don’t screw the base like that, you set and level the base, the set the cab on the base and screw it to the base from inside of the cab.

You really should research basic cabinet assembly there are tons of videos out there. It is hard to explain but basically you start by cutting parts to size, edge band all exposed edges (front edges of sides, top and bottom, all 4 sides of doors.).

Assemble cab by screwing through the sides into top and bottom. 1 3/4” drywall screws will work, I like Confirmat screws. The back is integral to the case. I’d go with a full thickness 1/2” back. The other method is 1/4 panel in a groove, inset enough to allow for nailers, too middle and back,

You screw the cab onto base through the bottom from inside into base. Inset the base about 3” sides and front, not flush. Fasten to wall with 3” screws (not flat heads).

Another way to go which my preferred for multiple cabinets is levellers and clip on toe kick. You would be easily to move cabinet if needed.

By commercial melamine I mean the stuff you get from a supplier, not the junk at Homey Depot. There is a huge difference.

I‘m not familiar with those hinges all I’ve ever used are Blum and Salice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You don’t screw the base like that, you set and level the base, the set the cab on the base and screw it to the base from inside of the cab.

You really should research basic cabinet assembly there are tons of videos out there. It is hard to explain but basically you start by cutting parts to size, edge band all exposed edges (front edges of sides, top and bottom, all 4 sides of doors.).

Assemble cab by screwing through the sides into top and bottom. 1 3/4” drywall screws will work, I like Confirmat screws. The back is integral to the case. I’d go with a full thickness 1/2” back. The other method is 1/4 panel in a groove, inset enough to allow for nailers, too middle and back,

You screw the cab onto base through the bottom from inside into base. Inset the base about 3” sides and front, not flush. Fasten to wall with 3” screws (not flat heads).

Another way to go which my preferred for multiple cabinets is levellers and clip on toe kick. You would be easily to move cabinet if needed.

By commercial melamine I mean the stuff you get from a supplier, not the junk at Homey Depot. There is a huge difference.

I‘m not familiar with those hinges all I’ve ever used are Blum and Salice.

Hmm. I think you guys are explaining a different method that I am not aware of, as it seems. Is this method specific to melamine or pretty much a standard practice? Bc the video that I saw, using 3/4 plywood, the guy built a base of 2x4s and use pocket holes to screw it to the base and the walls and such, and then screwed it back to the wall stud.

If you happen to know of a video directly related to the method you are mentioning, pls send it over so I can watch and understand it. I'm more of a visual/hands-on learner. But I am going to search for this.

I will try to find out and do some research on this. I think I walked into a room full of experts with better methods :D

And I will try to find out where I can get the industrial/commercial grade melamine. I know a few real estate people who have regular contractors.

·
Smart and Cool
2,303 Posts
Hmm. I think you guys are explaining a different method that I am not aware of, as it seems. Is this method specific to melamine or pretty much a standard practice? Bc the video that I saw, using 3/4 plywood, the guy built a base of 2x4s and use pocket holes to screw it to the base and the walls and such, and then screwed it back to the wall stud.

If you happen to know of a video directly related to the method you are mentioning, pls send it over so I can watch and understand it. I'm more of a visual/hands-on learner. But I am going to search for this.

I will try to find out and do some research on this. I think I walked into a room full of experts with better methods :D

And I will try to find out where I can get the industrial/commercial grade melamine. I know a few real estate people who have regular contractors.
Not sure where we are crossed up here, you describe in your first post what we are talking about.

"I am building a boxed frame on the floor of 2x4s so it stays off the ground a bit" = "base"

"Cabinet" = "box"

Build the frame, and install it.

Build the cabinet(s) and install them onto the frame, screw the cabinets to the wall, and to the frame.

Install doors.

We are all saying the same thing, that's why I'm asking for you to draw a picture because it seems the picture you have drawn in words, does not match what we are visualizing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not sure where we are crossed up here, you describe in your first post what we are talking about.

"I am building a boxed frame on the floor of 2x4s so it stays off the ground a bit" = "base"

"Cabinet" = "box"

Build the frame, and install it.

Build the cabinet(s) and install them onto the frame, screw the cabinets to the wall, and to the frame.

Install doors.

We are all saying the same thing, that's why I'm asking for you to draw a picture because it seems the picture you have drawn in words, does not match what we are visualizing.
Broo i kept thinking the term box is something else. Lol. I feel super dumb right now. You were referring to the cabinet as a box, I get it now.

Ok, we're on the same page then. I think I just got caught up in the words. The way you just mentioned, is exactly the way I had it thought out.

A frame of 2x4s. Cabinet/box on top and back support and close it with 1/4 or 1/2 in. sheet. Screw it to the wall studs. Install doors. Of course, with edge banding all around melamine first.

On to the next portion:
And I think another confusion was on inserting the screws. When placing the box onto the frame, you said that I should install screws from underneath the frame and into the melamine edges? Or is there another method for that?
And what # and length of screws should I use?

·
Smart and Cool
2,303 Posts
Broo i kept thinking the term box is something else. Lol. I feel super dumb right now. You were referring to the cabinet as a box, I get it now.

Ok, we're on the same page then. I think I just got caught up in the words. The way you just mentioned, is exactly the way I had it thought out.

A frame of 2x4s. Cabinet/box on top and back support and close it with 1/4 or 1/2 in. sheet. Screw it to the wall studs. Install doors. Of course, with edge banding all around melamine first.

On to the next portion:
And I think another confusion was on inserting the screws. When placing the box onto the frame, you said that I should install screws from underneath the frame and into the melamine edges? Or is there another method for that?
And what # and length of screws should I use?
I never said that. Here is what I said:

"I wouldn't use pocket holes on melamine either, screw through the sides, or the bottoms, counter bore the holes slightly and fill the screw holes with white silicone.

Same thing for attaching to the base, screw through the bottom into the base, fill the holes with white silicone."

Do some research on screw size, there is a lot of information out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@BigCountry79 Unfortunately, I do not have a wall on the side to attach it like that. They will be adjacent to the garage wall, but nothing on the side to screw it to. Attaching a pic of the location where they will go.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I never said that. Here is what I said:

"I wouldn't use pocket holes on melamine either, screw through the sides, or the bottoms, counter bore the holes slightly and fill the screw holes with white silicone.

Same thing for attaching to the base, screw through the bottom into the base, fill the holes with white silicone."

Do some research on screw size, there is a lot of information out there.

No, no pocket holes. I remember you mentioning that. And I don't have anything on the sides where the cabinets will go to screw from the sides.

Alright budd, everything else makes sense to me now. I have the entire thing pictured just as you said.

But one last part where I need a bit of help is when you mentioned, "The same thing for attaching to the base, screw through the bottom into the base, fill the holes with white silicone."

My base, as you know, is 2x4s. When I place the box on the base, how do i screw the melamine to the base? Ive attached a pic just the way the melamine sheets will be sitting on the base. I won't be able to screw it from the sides as there is nothing to screw it to. No pocket holes. Only way I can think of is to insert screws crom below the base all the thru into the melamine as it sits on the base.

A diff idea:
Another option i just thought of, lmk if this can help with the stability:
screw into melamine sheet from below the base straight up, and I can make another box of 2x4s sitting on top of floor base and inside the cabinet. Screw that to the floor base and screw the cabinet from outside into the 2nd base.
I've drawn that out and attached a pic.

I might be overthinking this and i do feel that I might be frustrating some of you here. I do sincerely apologize. And i greatly appreacite you all sticking thru my repetitive and some dumb questions and moments.

Most of the cabinetry videos ive seen of melamine went directly on the wall, off the ground.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Shootsum I'll give it another stab, too.

1. You're building a box with 2 sides, a top, a bottom and a back.
The box sits on top of the base, and is screwed to the base and the wall from inside the box.

2. I've seen some pretty terrible YouTubes on building cabinets.

3. If you're serious and have other cabinets in mind, get this book.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'll try one last time...

screw through the bottom(of the cabinet) into the base View attachment 428282
The red marks you made on my drawing, i believe is the same thing as the pic i'm attaching here? Screws going on the bottom of the cabinet.
And of course, won't be using the screw in the picture.

Everything else makes sense to me.

Attachments

·
Smart and Cool
2,303 Posts
The red marks you made on my drawing, i believe is the same thing as the pic i'm attaching here? Screws going on the bottom of the cabinet.
And of course, won't be using the screw in the picture.

Everything else makes sense to me.
Nope, I'm done, good luck to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
😬 sorry i'm disappointing y'all on this thing alone.

Or do you mean it like this new pic? Small screw attaching the melamine from bottom and the larger screw representing screwing the flat portion of melamine into the base?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@shoot summ @DrRobert

I think i just understood your idea

Build the cabinet, the sides, top, and bottom of the cabinet. And place it on the base and screw the bottom of the cabinet into the base of 2x4s.

I think the reason we kept going back n forth on the same thing was bc i kept the bottom of the cabinet out of the pic thinking i'll just slide in a removable "shelf" sheet instead of it being part of the whole cabinet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Shootsum I'll give it another stab, too.

1. You're building a box with 2 sides, a top, a bottom and a back.
The box sits on top of the base, and is screwed to the base and the wall from inside the box.
I understand it now. I'm sorry it took me so long. I guess the reason was, as i mentioned above, I was not including the bottom piece of the cabinet into the equation. I was thinking of the bottom piece of the cabinet as a removable piece, but now it get it why not to do that. That the bottom piece is what I screw down into the base of 2x4s.

I sincerely apologize for all the frustration that I have caused lol. You guys tried pretty hard, but my brain cells just weren't there to understand it.

And I contacted the real estate broker and he said he will give me the location of the supplier. Once I have that, I will begin the build process. Once I'm done, I will share pics to make you all proud for the suffering I have caused :D

21 - 40 of 41 Posts