Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just found your forum and hope you can help me out . I've been using a craftsman model 100 table saw for more years than I like to mention and it has always had a 8 1/4'' blade on it . I wanted to replace it and wondered if it was the correct diameter as its probably been change a lot in its long life , anyway I put a 10'' on it today and it sounds like I picked up some rpm's , am I good or should I go back to 8 1/4 , what came on it from the factory any ideas .

By the way it cuts better than I can ever remember !! Just want to be safe.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Does it say 10 inch on the front? Many of them did. With a 10 inch blade your rpms won't change, however the speed at the tooth will. Blades are rated for rpm, so you should be fine if its the standard 3200-3500 rpm saw.

·
where's my table saw?
27,889 Posts
I had a Model 100 years ago

It was designed to use a 10" blade, but smaller blades will work. The Construction or Framers blades 7 1/4" or 8 1/4", you can purchase at Home Depot are thinner kerf than the so called "thin kerf" blades like Freud Diablo. The only thing that matters is that the blade must/should have a 5/8" arbor. Bushings will work but aren't the best for accuracy. There is no reason not to get a blade with a 5/8" arbor, as there are a zillion of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just says model 100 on the front , and don't have any way of knowing what rpm the saw is rated for .I picked up a diablo 10'' 5/8 arbor carbide 40 tooth blade it cuts pine like butter , but I can hear the hum and wondered if I should have stayed with the 8 1/4 .

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you've got a 10" blade in there and it's not hitting anything, you're probably ok. If it wasn't meant for it, it probably wouldn't fit. I've got a Craftsman 9", and there's no way I could fit a 10" blade in there.

·
where's my table saw?
27,889 Posts
Nope

The blade sounds like a Freud Diablo 1040, a good blade.:thumbsup:
If the 8 1/4" is still sharp there is no reason not to use it until it doesn't perform well. Your depth of cut will rarely if ever need to be the full 3" of a 10" diameter blade. The hum is just a natural sound of a spinning blade, not to worry.

It sounds like you really need to watch some You Videos on table saw use and to get some ideas on what to expect. Search on You Tube for
"kickback", there are some good ones. There are "set up" videos also. Dust collection on that model is by gravity, not the best. The fence may not be the best either, but you will learn a lot here about the old Craftsman table saws. :yes:

·
Registered
470 Posts
If there is a possibility things have been changed during the saws life, for safety it may pay to check the blade rpm. For a 10" blade the maximum recommended is 6,500.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Every Google reference for the 100 call it a 10" saw. I own an ancient 8" Craftsman table saw, and there is no way a 10 inch blade would fit in there. Your new 10" blade will cut much better than your old one more because it is sharp rather than larger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This has been a great old saw , got it from my dad about 30 years ago and its been making everything under the sun . Right now I'm making bee hives with it ,I new the blade was getting dull but wondered if it ever had the right blade on it . I had put a 60 or 80 tooth carbide on for cutting my miters in hardwood for picture frames . Probably the only complaint would be the fence , I have to measure both ends to make sure its straight , any ideas on a decent fence that will fit it .

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Delta t2 is the common go to fence replacement for that saw. I'd also consider the steel city commercial, I think it's available as a separate system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts