Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wanted a farm house table, and then ultimately decided what I had built wasn't the size she said... it was.

Long story short I've dried and planed 48 2x6s down to 1.25 inches and glued them together for a 60x60 square top.

Total thickness = right around 4 inches.
Total weight = heavy enough that I better have had a stout breakfast that morning to move it. At least 300lbs.

My question concerns the base. I was originally going to build a simple farmhouse base for each end. Now I'm leaning toward a pedestal base but farmhouse style.

Castle joint at the top and bottom. x bracing on the sides.

My concern is what size does this base need to be to minimize the chance of tipping. The base will be built out of 6x6. Conservatively, I would say it would be maybe 225lbs if I did a 48inch base.

I just don't know if that base is wide enough to minimize the chance of tipping.

And before anyone asks why it's so insanely overbuilt and sized... It isn't worth my debating with a pregnant wife. 馃槀

Premium Member
If the legs were oriented corner to corner woukd that be better?

If it were me, I would throw a mock-up together and see in real life. That鈥檚 an awfully heavy top!! I think that much thickness might look too too heavy?

The Nut in the Cellar
I think you are into the same sort of top heavy scenario like a patio umbrella. That issue is resolved by using a heavy cast iron base that out weighs the top load with a much smaller diameter base. I recently made a much smaller table (24'x24") that was very top heavy. I was able to counter that mass with a smaller base that contained a bit more wood than the top. The base is enclosed so you don't see the extra wood. Your design is very different, but may need the same sort of counter balancing. Any way you could introduce some steel into the interior of the base thus hiding it from view? I made a wooden lathe base with more mass by filling recesses in the base with lead (could use steel) shot and then pouring epoxy into the recesses locking the little balls into place forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts