Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a piece of white oak 30" long by 6" wide by 3/4" deep. I have a scroll saw, belt and disc sander combo, chisels, compounds miter saw, orbital sander, a table saw and a drill. That's about it. Whatever ideas you his can give me for a nice small project would be great thanks.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
jbwhitford said:
Do you have any plans for the box or know where I could get some?
Your plans would be on the material you have.
Other plans may not meet your criteria.
If a box is what you want? Then layout you piece accordantly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dominick said:
Your plans would be on the material you have. Other plans may not meet your criteria. If a box is what you want? Then layout you piece accordantly.
I meant more along the lines of maybe how I should do this since I'm just starting out and don't know much. I really don know where to begin.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
jbwhitford said:
I meant more along the lines of maybe how I should do this since I'm just starting out and don't know much. I really don know where to begin.
Watch you tube videos, look at pictures, even google boxes images. Be creative.
You already know what a box is, so imagine it, dream it, be it.
Search for boxes here and in sure you'll see different ones.
I'd start off with just a simple square box with rabbit joints or even just screwed together.
With a lid. Start off with simple.
Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are loads of plans online, for free or payed. There is also an entire section devoted to plans on this forum. I'm very new to woodworking as well, and for me, I had to dive in. I remember the first nice piece of lumber that I paid money for... I just stared and stared , not wanting to mar the surface. I was paralyzed by fear of altering natures work in a negative way, so I didn't. I still have that plank, a five ft. long piece of eastern red cedar. It's beautiful, and it reminds me that if I am not willing to make a mistake, all I have are planks of wood. Maybe you should hang that board up, acquire another, and get to work. Good luck! It gets easier.

WCT

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your table saw could be the most important tool you own right now. Nobody is forcing you to build something out of that specific board:thumbsup:. Some good practice could be to make some jigs for your table saw...like a cross cut sled, miter sled, or a finger joint jig. All of those would make it easier for you to build other stuff...like a box.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnnyG73 said:
Your table saw could be the most important tool you own right now. Nobody is forcing you to build something out of that specific board:thumbsup:. Some good practice could be to make some jigs for your table saw...like a cross cut sled, miter sled, or a finger joint jig. All of those would make it easier for you to build other stuff...like a box.
What's a cross cut sled a miter sled and a finger joint jig do?

·
The Man
758 Posts
A cross cut or miter sled is what you use on a table saw to make miter cuts. But you said you have a miter saw so you don't need one right now. A finger joint jig makes the corners you see on my box. You could also just use your miter saw to make miter joints and put it together that way.

A box has 4 sides and a bottom. Maybe a top. You have a 1x6 by 30". First decide how big you want the box based upon how much material you have. At 30" your box could be 5x5 square with miter corners and no top...

Go on YouTube and look up "wood work web" and look up his video on a one piece box.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You could make a small sliding lid box - Woodsmith has free plans for them on their website. The plans also include instructions on how to make a finger joint jig.

You could make it out of 3/4" stock, but it would be one hefty little box. I typically make them out of 1/4" or 3/8" stock. You could resaw that board into two 1/4" boards so you could make two boxes or one larger box.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BigBadBuford said:
You could make a small sliding lid box - Woodsmith has free plans for them on their website. The plans also include instructions on how to make a finger joint jig. You could make it out of 3/4" stock, but it would be one hefty little box. I typically make them out of 1/4" or 3/8" stock. You could resaw that board into two 1/4" boards so you could make two boxes or one larger box.
I think I might try it out soon. I found the plans online. I'm in high school so I'll try and put one of these types of boxes into the works this weekend. I might also make the finger joint jig. Thanks everyone for your help I'll post pictures of what I come up with soon.

·
The Man
758 Posts
Yes and no. You can use a standard blade then cut away a little at a time. It takes longer and you need to clean it up with a chisel but it can be done. If you have access to a stacked dado set it will go a lot faster but it's not completely necessary.

·
The Man
758 Posts
Just for our information how mechanically savvy are you? Can you watch a guy use a saw and whatnot and figure out how its done or do you require more instruction?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Masterofnone said:
Just for our information how mechanically savvy are you? Can you watch a guy use a saw and whatnot and figure out how its done or do you require more instruction?
If I watch someone do it most of the time I can replicate what they did. It's easier for me to see it being done than reading a list of instructions and trying to interpret them. I just tend to ask a lot of questions just to try to learn all that I can.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
jbwhitford said:
If I watch someone do it most of the time I can replicate what they did. It's easier for me to see it being done than reading a list of instructions and trying to interpret them. I just tend to ask a lot of questions just to try to learn all that I can.
Sounds like you tube is in your favor.
Lots of finger joint videos there.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts