Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this at a rummage sale for $5. It is an enlarger. I am sure it will be perfect for some sort of a jig, but I'm not sure exactly what to do with it just yet. Maybe a horizontal router / mortising jig?

What sort of a jig would YOU make with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
It's not ridgid enough to modify for woodworking use. I would leave it as an enlarger and get a film camera if you don't have one. If you need a large pattern you can take a picture and put the negative in the enlarger and tip it back so it projects onto the wall and set your board there so you can trace the image onto the wood.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
It's not ridgid enough to modify for woodworking use. I would leave it as an enlarger and get a film camera if you don't have one. If you need a large pattern you can take a picture and put the negative in the enlarger and tip it back so it projects onto the wall and set your board there so you can trace the image onto the wood.
Same concept, different angle. How about making an over head projector? Put the plans flat on the base and project a larger image on the wall. :thumbup:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know ... this thing is very rigid.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
Same concept, different angle. How about making an over head projector? Put the plans flat on the base and project a larger image on the wall. :thumbup:
The light and lens are all different on a overhead projector. With the enlarger the negative is put between the light that is in the top of it and the lens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At least you now have a quality Omega enlarger :) You could give it a place of honor on an end-table as an antique-to-be or object of art ;-)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have an idea Chris, you could put it on the shelf and then finish one of the other billion projects you have going that I am anxiously awaiting the results!!!

Kidding, If you built a base for the top, put a flat reference surface in between, turned it 90 degrees, made the bases adjustable (on 2 axii), and mounted a router to it, that would be the perfect router planing jig.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
captainawesome said:
I have an idea Chris, you could put it on the shelf and then finish one of the other billion projects you have going that I am anxiously awaiting the results!!!

Kidding, If you built a base for the top, put a flat reference surface in between, turned it 90 degrees, made the bases adjustable (on 2 axii), and mounted a router to it, that would be the perfect router planing jig.
Oh that wasn't very nice.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Chris - I believe you already have a router table which will out-perform your intended overhead router. The router capability will be very limited to edge routing because of the post and overhead routing is like radial arm saws... some folks like to see their work and others are frightened by them.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

not very nice indeed, but i deserved it. it's all good. :icon_smile:

i started this thread about a month ago after i picked this thing up at a rummage sale. doing something with it is not close to the top of my list.

i have been away from the house this last week, the weather is finally warming up, and the washington capitals did not make the playoffs, so i should have fewer distractions.

i think after i get this lift done that i will be ready to start up on the pantorouter again. i've been dragging my feet on that because i am having a hard time deciding how i want to attach the router.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it is indeed structurally sound and solid (which all Omega enlargers were if my memory serves me right) then perhaps it could be adapted to hold a Bosch Pony router for overhead routing.

Even better, attach the base to the underside on the back of your router table with the mast upright and adapt it to hold a small router (Pony) in the horizontal position! I like this idea...lol... You would then have the scale in place for up and down adjustments :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
:)

·
bikeshooter
503 Posts
I have something very similar. It can be used for stock photography of small objects. The shot of the pen blanks was taken on the set-up shown.

The parts you show may not go with the base unit - I'm not 100% sure though.

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Chris,
I had one but an earlier model. Mine had a hardwood board for the base. I used the 35mm mask but never the 2-1/4 square one.

Unfortunately as others have said, it is not very stable. As a copy stand for a camera, it might work if the camera has a remote control. Just touching the camera to trip the shutter will cause a wiggle.

I would be afraid to mount any power tool on the enlarger. (Just not stable enough.)

Maybe you could use it with a SCMS as a cut off stop? I really can't think of anything else.

You could give the collimators to the kids to play with. They'll love zapping ants with sunlight.

Reactions: Chris Curl
1 - 20 of 22 Posts