Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a radial arm saw in the near future, I am familiar with the craftsman saw, what others are out there that I should consider?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Those old Craftsman are nice saws. I have one myself. Haven't used it in 12 or more years.

Why do you want a radial arm - do you have a specific repetitive type production purpose for it? If not, you could spend your money better IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replacing tools

I lost all of my tool in hurricane Katrina, I am starting to replace them. I had a table saw before and my father in law had a radial arm saw. I just figured I could do more with it. however I am open to all suggestions.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I think you will find about a 99.9% vote for the table saw for general woodworking duties when compared to the radial arm. I am not knocking radials, they have their place and can perform some specialized duties better than a TS, but they are few, and those are usually in repetitive cut-off type production uses as I stated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read reviews

Read the rewiews on the craftsman RAS on the Sears website, they are not real stong, will probably go with a Table Saw.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
It's too bad the newer ones are no good. I am not suprised though. I am sure they're made by whatever ROC exporter was the lowest bidder.

Talk to owners of the older saws though and you will get a different song and dance. Those older saws were nice saws for the money when dialed in.

Let us know what TS you get, and give it a review in the Tool Review section after you have used it enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts