Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm designing a gaming table. One feature I like on one I saw recently was a rail system so that you could attach various accessories to the table as needed. I'm attaching a picture and I'm wondering what router bits and/or other techniques you would use to create this system. I think the removable board uses just a roundover for the bottom part, using the full cutting surface to form the bead or shelf, but the rest, especially the rail in the table I'm a bit lost on. Thanks.

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
The end of the accessory looks like it just fits into just a square groove made with a straight bit or a dado on the table saw.

A better of the actual slot would be helpful.

If I was going to do something like that I would use a "T" slot. I would also be prepared for some ungainly player to break the accessory and the table.

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply T slot makes sense, I was thinking there was a matching round in the table but not needed I realize ...and you do make a very good point about breakage which I will consider as I finalize a design.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would go with a sliding dovetail for something like this.

I would also be concerned with folks breaking it on accident.

The configuration of the original is odd.

·
Village Idiot
4,959 Posts
I'd say a t slot bit for the rail in the table, a straight bit for the dado in the top of the cupholder and a round over bit for the bottom, set high enough to cut a ledge.

Personally though, I'd skip all the routing and find a way to adapt a French cleat system sort of thing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts