Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't seem to me to be worth this kind of money - the Excalibur series looks better built and perhaps cheaper to boot. What am I missing? (Hawk by Bushton).

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Doesn't seem to me to be worth this kind of money - the Excalibur series looks better built and perhaps cheaper to boot. What am I missing? (Hawk by Bushton).
Asking and getting are two vastly different things. RBI Hawk had a good reputation and top quality tools until two or three years ago when RBI went under. Bushton industries bought the remnants of the Hawk line and started building the Hawk products again as well as supporting the old Hawk customer base with parts and such. AFAIK, they are building a quality product, whether on par with others, that is a decision the buyer needs to make. Just my .02:smile:
EDIT - incidentally, they are made in USA, Bushton is a small town in central KS... don't know where Excalibur is made, China maybe?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Excalibur scroll saws were originally made in Canada by Somerville. Since then they were bought out and are now made in China. The ones in china are basically the green painted ones. With the new owners quality control was questionable at least at first, they may have improved since. The nice things about the new ones now is that the blade arm tilts instead of the table which is nice when cutting angles. RBI makes, or at least did , a good scrollsaw. The dewalt scrollsaw is a very good quality scrollsaw which is a lot cheaper and most propel are very happy with. I have both the 30" old style Excalibur and just recently picked up a dewalt brand on a deal I couldn't pass up. They're made to last and minimum vibration issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts