Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was at Menards grabbing some lumber for a buddy, and there was a Hmong gentleman (mid to late 40s, with a hearing aid...) in the van right ahead of me getting "yard inspected" at the guard shack. The security guy had him pull 11 paver blocks -- the $6.50 fancy masonry type -- out from under the seats of his minivan. He had 50 of them stacked all nice and neat in the back, but I guess he figured he needed a "few" extras in case of breakage. Why? Everybody else has to pay, why did he think a few extras were a "gimmie"? Some people....

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is it important that he was Hmong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk
Detail- actually, a polite detail for me. I really wanted to reach out and call him a "thieving, conniving, shoplifting, price raising, good for nothing, dirty low down [email protected]@rd, who thinks the whole flipping world owes him a [email protected] living", but I was trying to be nice. Unlike his behavior directed towards the gate guard. Who, by the way, politely let him go after simply unloading the extra. It seems like that's busting a shoplifter -- to the tune of over $70. 11 bonus pavers at $6.50 a pop was not a simple mistake in loading. Especially not when the guard was moving fast food wrappers to get to them. the part that really irks me, was had the sentry not spied one under the passenger seat, this A-hole would have gotten away completely.

Maybe I just am having a crap day (divorce court is upcoming, and I finally saw my soon to be ex today...), but this crap really bites me today....:censored:

Reactions: skymonkey

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Well, he probably thought he was stealing the blocks, and since we don'r know what went on between him and the guard, maybe it was compassion that moved the guard to not charge him.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who do the same thing every day. They think that if there's a slight chance of getting away with something, they'll try it. Hopefully, that man will realize that he was given break and will rethink his stealing ways in the future.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Detail- actually, a polite detail for me. I really wanted to reach out and call him a "thieving, conniving, shoplifting, price raising, good for nothing, dirty low down [email protected]@rd, who thinks the whole flipping world owes him a [email protected] living", but I was trying to be nice. Unlike his behavior directed towards the gate guard. Who, by the way, politely let him go after simply unloading the extra. It seems like that's busting a shoplifter -- to the tune of over $70. 11 bonus pavers at $6.50 a pop was not a simple mistake in loading. Especially not when the guard was moving fast food wrappers to get to them. the part that really irks me, was had the sentry not spied one under the passenger seat, this A-hole would have gotten away completely.

Maybe I just am having a crap day (divorce court is upcoming, and I finally saw my soon to be ex today...), but this crap really bites me today....:censored:
Still doesn't explain why that matters... if it was your average run of the mill white guy, would you have mentioned it?

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evolved said:
Still doesn't explain why that matters... if it was your average run of the mill white guy, would you have mentioned it?
So because I made reference of one guys ethnicity, I'm a master racist? Is that it? Keep overlooking the main point of busting a guy for attempted shoplifting, slapping a wrist, and he'll do it again for a bigger prize. Yep, I am a racist....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
So because I made reference of one guys ethnicity, I'm a master racist? Is that it? Keep overlooking the main point of busting a guy for attempted shoplifting, slapping a wrist, and he'll do it again for a bigger prize. Yep, I am a racist....
To be quite honest, when I see someones race or ethinicity mentioned in a post that has nothing to do with the post, I do question why it was mentioned. It takes away from your intent of the post. IMO, and from experience, when race or ethinticity is mentioned, with no bearing on the story, the author has an agenda, bias, or whatever toward that race.

Not saying that is you. Just saying we can only wonder why someone would mention he was Hmoung for no apparent reason.

It provides no clarity. Why didn't you just say what you felt.
I really wanted to reach out and call him a "thieving, conniving, shoplifting, price raising, good for nothing, dirty low down [email protected]@rd, who thinks the whole flipping world owes him a [email protected] living", but I was trying to be nice.
Again, not questioning you but stating why folks are questioning the original post.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Woodwart said:
Well, he probably thought he was stealing the blocks, and since we don'r know what went on between him and the guard, maybe it was compassion that moved the guard to not charge him.
Compassion my a$$!

The quy was thief! He should have been detained and charged with shoplifting.

When is it ok to break the 8th commandment?

If the guy was stealing food because he was hungry that's one thing but....

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who do the same thing every day. They think that if there's a slight chance of getting away with something, they'll try it. Hopefully, that man will realize that he was given break and will rethink his stealing ways in the future.;)
Ya, I doubt it. He essentially got away with it. He tried, failed and was released. What kind of a lesson does that set.

If you steal and get caught there are no consequences? Why not give it another try, there's nothing that will happen.:gunsmilie:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts