Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a flat platform with 4 leveling feet that can hold a heavy duty blower which is around 200 lbs. The platform is 21.5" x 22.5" as shown in this image (let me know if there are better designs):

I thought about using 0.5" steel plate but with these dimensions, it will cost me $200+. That is why I decided wood would be a good option although I am not sure what type of wood to use. What I need is something strong, will dampen vibrations from the blower and costs less than $100 (the cheaper the better).

This will be indoors and will be a raised platform, I was thinking of using Heavy Duty Vibration-Damping Leveling Mounts.

I heard that I can use 2x's to build a platform. What dimension 2x's should I use and I am guessing I would put them side by side to form a platform similar to hardwood floors?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can't imagine that 2x stock glued together to form your base wouldn't be strong enough. You might want to put oversized washers between the dampeners and the wood....but I think it would work fine. A little extra insurance (and maybe overkill) would be to put dampeners between the blower and the platform.

·
Registered
353 Posts
2x6 with 3/4" Plywood sheathing will be more than ample to carry that load. I would add a center stringer and call it good. You can make your own leveling feet. T-Nuts Hockey Puck, StoveBolt, Epoxy.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
That is such a small platform that 2x4 construction should be good enough with 3/4 plywood for the top. Add a cross member or two if you like just don't put them where you will be bolting the blower down. Glue and good screws (or lag screws) should do the trick.

Good luck.

Note: or you could double up the 2x4's to make 3x4's like I did on my work bench. Very sturdy.

Leg adjusters consist of two 5/8 nuts sunk into each leg with a third nut, washer and bolt. Makes for a good leveler. Not sure about vibration, but they make adjustments easy.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts