Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be Birch.

Cabinetman I just worked on a very difficult project that was birch (based on the manufacturers web site information). That wood was impossible to stain with MinWax stain. This current project accepted the stain very after conditioning with Zinsser Sealcoat diluted 50% with DNA. Perhaps this conditioning made all the difference.

Gary

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
Birch and maple are about the two hardest woods to tell apart. Some of what is pictured looks like birch but most of it looks like maple. In any case both would use the same finishing procedure.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
10 seconds under a microscope and I could give you a definitive answer. Wood anatomy is like fingerprints.
I have been carving a lot of birch lately. I have a sneaking suspicion that's what you have. Not maple, not cherry.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10 seconds under a microscope and I could give you a definitive answer. Wood anatomy is like fingerprints.
I have been carving a lot of birch lately. I have a sneaking suspicion that's what you have. Not maple, not cherry.
Thank you. I wish there was a definitive way via the Internet to assess wood types. I will proceed on the basis that this is birch.

Gary

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I agree w/ the statements above that (1) some of what you've got looks a lot like maple, more like birch and (2) birch and maple can be hard to tell apart, especially with just face grain showing.

I do not see anything that looks at all like cherry to me.

Even the end grains look very similar, BUT ... hard maple end grain tends to show rays and birch does not.

See if you can't use my site to tell the difference and let us know.

Paul

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree w/ the statements above that (1) some of what you've got looks a lot like maple, more like birch and (2) birch and maple can be hard to tell apart, especially with just face grain showing.

I do not see anything that looks at all like cherry to me.

Even the end grains look very similar, BUT ... hard maple end grain tends to show rays and birch does not.

See if you can't use my site to tell the difference and let us know.

Paul
Paul first let me compliment you on your web site. That is an amazing collection of pictures and comments.

I checked your site and I checked the end grain carefully on the project that I am working on. I see no rays in the end grain at all. So I am concluding birch based on all the feedback that I have been given. Thank you.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts