Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone about a half a mile from me cut a tree down friday and put it by the road. After driving by it a few times I couldn't stand it any more so I stopped and took some pictures. What kind of wood is this?

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The leaves have already dried and turned brown as you can see in the first picture so I am not sure if getting dedicated leaf pictures will help. The trunk was probably 28 inches in diameter or more. I just found the pattern in the pattern in the stump very interesting. The tree was beside the road so I would be concerned about nails.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,381 Posts
Partially dead spalting Hackberry ...enough dead leaves, dead center, bark, end grain there to tell...and split like hackberry.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,381 Posts
If you like turning.....spalt is pretty. It appeared to be firewood length, unless set-up to saw shorts, they are aggravating BUT can be done. You can carefully make some chainsaw lumber for small projects.

Where you hiding at here in Mid TN???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The log in the first few pictures is larger than it looks. It is maybe 5 feet or longer. There is no way I could move it. Everything else is cut up short.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The wood looks like one of the hard maples to me, and the branches look like they're opposite (is Hackberry opposite, or am I just seeing things), and Maples love to compartmentalize rot like that.

Just another opinion,
Acer

EDIT: Looking closer, it doesn't look quite opposite, so not Maple. :-/ Guess it's Hackberry.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My 0.02 $
I mostly agree with hackberry (=sugarberry), as it looks like the ones I've cut around here. Turns well and spalting really sets off the turnings.
The soft middle reminds me of chinaberry (=chokecherry here)--that's the way they grow 'round here, except the wood color is too light. Tried turning some once, but it'll be a cold day somewhere before I do that again.
Dave H

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somebody must have seen the value in the wood. A few days ago the good sized pieces disappeared to include the large trunk part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts