Woodworking Talk banner

What kind of wood is this?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bradhobbs 
#1 ·
This is what my house is built from, and was wondering what kind of wood it is?

See less See more
#4 ·
A lot depends on your taste in wood whether to stain or not. Forty years ago yellow pine was more common. When my dad remodeled the house all the trim he bought was yellow pine and we stained it. A lot of people then were still putting solid wood yellow pine paneling in their houses and it was stained. Today most people don't like the stripped look to yellow pine. You might sand some of it off and stain it with some different products and see if you like it or not. If you don't like it you could just paint over it. On the kitchen in my dad's house he put paneling in it that had almost a pickled look to it. We used a water based stain on the trim and it seem to subdue the grain better. Another option is a gel stain. Instead of penetrating like a oil stain most of the color lays on the surface.

#7 ·
Well .. I live in Kentucky lol .. So maybe it is southern yellow pine. And yes my house has the wood siding which I'm not sure of what it may be, but its a dark wood, stripes of wood and paneling .. The walls are more sturdy than what I'm use to and I love that fact. I'd guess southern yellow pine, its what I have on my floor also. But upstairs for some reason they put down oak floors, and oak stair case, guess they boxed the upstairs at a later time. I had though about tearing out the dry wall to revel the stripes that is lined on the roof and stain those and have a slanted roof upstairs.

I always like showing off my $20,000 house Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.