Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,300 Posts
I bought this awhile ago and just getting around to using it for epoxy n wood coasters maybe...any idea what kind it is?
Welcome to the forum.

Where did you buy it? Is it likely to be from that area?

More photos would help, closeups of both the face grain and end grain.

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The sides of this box were made from pallet wood (lid too, but a different pallet) and I believe it is just oak.
The wood looked very similar to your piece before I cleaned it up.
Rectangle Wood Outdoor furniture Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sides of this box were made from pallet wood (lid too, but a different pallet) and I believe it is just oak.
The wood looked very similar to your piece before I cleaned it up.
View attachment 439163
That's a nice looking box, but that bottom piece looks more like a brown streak, where mine is more red and the grain pattern is different. I think the above people might be right and some kind of koa. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
Retired engineer
386 Posts
The sapwood does look a lot like koa or milo, but neither have red heartwood like that.
Too late now, but when I buy wood like that and the seller thinks he knows what it is, I dig out the sharpee soon as I can and write it on the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sapwood does look a lot like koa or milo, but neither have red heartwood like that.
Too late now, but when I buy wood like that and the seller thinks he knows what it is, I dig out the sharpee soon as I can and write it on the end.
Yes, definitely gonna do that going forward!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts