Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Well without having a close up, or any info about it's density and the other things I would be able to make a better guess with. I will take a stab at it and say pecan wood, no clue on the finish.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both my father and grandfather have passed on [as they would have this info.], Daren.

How about if you look [click] into "My Gallery" and click on this pic for a closer look?

Let me know what you think, dude.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2nd thought would it help, Daren, if I shot another pic very close including the inside door on the bottom?

You can see the thickness and the wood itself in another angle

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
On 2nd thought would it help, Daren, if I shot another pic very close including the inside door on the bottom?

You can see the thickness and the wood itself in another angle
Just a close up of one of the door panels from the front would help, and maybe an endgrain shot like on one of the drawers fronts.
I see you live down south, where did your Granddad live when he made it? South too.
If you can dent it with your thumbnail (like inside a drawer or some place not noticeable) then no way it is my guess pecan. Pecan is a very hard wood. I am just going off color and grain from a distance, could be alot of things, but I am usually pretty good at wood ID.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, right now my battries are fried [recharging now in socket].
I'll post the closer pic in a bit.

My grandfather was born in Baltimore and moved to New Jersey.
When he finished college he became an industrial arts teacher [meaning teaching high school kids machine shop and such].
Now after 30 plus years he and his wife [ also a teacher] moved to Naples [that's about 2-3 hours drive south of me].

I remember pics of his work of this[what do you call it?].

So he musta collected the wood itself down in Naples area.

there's a lot of pine and palm trees down there.

I wished I asked him many more questions about his works, as I was a teen.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
It is not all out of one wood. The drawer sides (and back boards on the top, seeing some of the other pics in your gallery of Gramps work) are most likely southern yellow pine. I am still going to have to stick with pecan for the drawer/cabinet door faces. There are other species that have similar color (gum which is common in the south) but the semi open face grain, porous end grain and color says pecan.
Anyone else who is more familiar with south east woods, take a crack at it.
BTW, your Grampa did some nice work. I would have liked to seen his shop. It doesn't take the newest tool the catalog is trying to shove down your throat to make something to last for many generations. Your heirlooms prove that:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch, Daren for your feedback.

I also have a table that used to have a custom glass fit [As I was getting ready to start to clean it out of his place, I dropped it!]
Used to put pics in it.

My Grandparents had a long glass table with some sort of mesh net underside to hold seashells.

too bad I didn't get that peice to use.

My grandfather had used the garage for a shop. I believe he had your standard saw table. A toolboard. lots of clamps. long wooden ruler [the square thick kind].
I think also a driller. Other than that lots of hand saws. He loved to use the chipper for small stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts