Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of shop could you build with $9329 ? I'm kinna being facetious, here, as a comparison of costs.

Ten yrs ago I made temporary back plywood doors for my shop, with the intent of replacing them, later, with better ones, as I knew the ply would not last. This is the present doors, each about 5'W and 8' H.
Property Blue Waste container Waste containment Grass

Lately, rather than make new ones, I thought to buy swing-out double doors from the garage door company that sold/installed my 20' wide garage door, for $1800, 5-6 yrs ago. For just the doors - no casing, latches/handles or hinges - they quoted me $9329. I'm aware prices of things have gone up the past few years, but, for what I assume would be simple swing out doors, I think I could almost build a whole new small shop with $9K + funds.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
8'x7', 9'x7' and 16'x7' are standard sizes for garage doors and they're cheap
unless you need the 10'x8' size, frame it down to 9'x7' and throw a $438 door in the opening
homedepot.com/p/Clopay-Classic-Collection-9-ft-x-7-ft-Non-Insulated-Garage-Door
i suspect your 20' door is actually 16' as the wider door is custom sized and pricey even 10 yr ago

i made an insulated 12'x8' door 40 yrs ago that is still going strong using barn door track
3/8" plywood on both sides 2x4 laid flat frame and 1.5" styrofoam insulation
when i move to michigan i made a 9'x7' version that was great until i installed a roll up door

·
where's my table saw?
31,713 Posts
My sliding doors, 3 of them are 4 ft X 8 ft. They are double sided 3/8" rough sawn plywood attached to a 2" X 6" frame with a diagonal brace.
they have stayed flat and straight hanging from a barn door track for over 15 years. Stained on both sides every 5 years or so.
A door that's 5 ft wide may be a problem using plywood off the shelf? A vertical 2" X 4" could be used where they butt together. I think 5 pieces of 4 X 8 would do it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If your frame is still solid why not just replace with new plywood doors? The big box store will order it for you or you should be able to find a supplier who carries the 5X8 sheets on hand. If you don't care to pick it up in person, they will ship directly to your door. Even here in Iowa we have a local source in Des Moines who stocks the 5X8 sheets in several variations. Some folks I know here locally, will order from Noah's or other sources in MN and MI depending on who has what on hand, on any particular day.

Or you can upgrade to a better grade of plywood.

As with any wood project, keeping grass and vegetation away from direct contact will be beneficial in increasing the lifespan of the wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts