Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring and refinishing this sewing machine cabinet. One of the door centre panels is missing and I want to try to replace it. The burl is simply awesome. The whole cabinet is oak and quarter sawn oak. I am not sure if it is reasonable to assume that the burl is oak as well.

Thank you for any input.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
26,889 Posts
The problem you will have with burl is even if you knew positively what kind of wood it was since it is a growth on the tree you won't be able to match it exactly. You would have to go someplace that had a good selection of burls and take your picture with you and perhaps buy a different species which the grain looks similar. Many online places will sell burl veneer in lots, giving how many pieces and the size of the veneer so you can purchase all the veneer that came from that growth so it does match. It looks like a walnut burl to me.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem you will have with burl is even if you knew positively what kind of wood it was since it is a growth on the tree you won't be able to match it exactly. You would have to go someplace that had a good selection of burls and take your picture with you and perhaps buy a different species which the grain looks similar. Many online places will sell burl veneer in lots, giving how many pieces and the size of the veneer so you can purchase all the veneer that came from that growth so it does match. It looks like a walnut burl to me.
Steve that indeed is a problem. I have started to search Amazon.com for some burl veneer and it looks like trial and error to me. I appreciate your feedback.

Gary

·
Registered
26,889 Posts
I don't buy very much veneer online. I ran across this site which looks pretty good, http://www.veneersupplies.com/ They are showing actual photographs of veneer you would be buying so you could determine as well as possible online you are getting some that would work for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts