Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a cheap bandsaw I bought at an auction. I have used it alittle bit and I most likely need a new blade but all I want to do is resawing on it so what blade would be the best. Second when I push any wood through it that's thicker than 1/2 inch the motor struggles to cut it. What could be the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Have a cheap bandsaw I bought at an auction. I have used it alittle bit and I most likely need a new blade but all I want to do is resawing on it so what blade would be the best. Second when I push any wood through it that's thicker than 1/2 inch the motor struggles to cut it. What could be the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The motor struggles because it's too small. The entire machine is way too small do do resawing. To resaw successfully even smaller lumber, a 1/2" blade with at least a 3/4 HP motor is minimal. To get into heavier stuff, 1HP or more with a 3/4" blade works better. Bottom line, saw is too small.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alchymist said:
The motor struggles because it's too small. The entire machine is way too small do do resawing. To resaw successfully even smaller lumber, a 1/2" blade with at least a 3/4 HP motor is minimal. To get into heavier stuff, 1HP or more with a 3/4" blade works better. Bottom line, saw is too small.[/QUOTE
What would this work for then? Second what would a bandsaw fit for resawing cost?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know why that happened. What can I use it for and how much would a bandsaw fit for resawing cost?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I don't know why that happened. What can I use it for and how much would a bandsaw fit for resawing cost?
Should work fine for smaller stock - 1/2 to 1" or so. Important thing is a good blade - the sharper the blade the less power required. If resawing is the game, I'd suggest minimum 14" saw, 1 HP or more. Blade designed for resawing, something like 3 or 4 TPI, 1/2" to 3/4". Even at that, 5" thick is about the limit with out a riser block on a 14" saw. Used saws in the 14" range can be had for $150-250.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't have money right now so. Thanks for the info. I'll probably go buy a new blade for this soon. How do you know what sized blade to buy?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fence moves when I cut wood also. The end that tightens slides if your looking to the front of it. The far end stays right but the front doesn't. What can I do to fix this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts