Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
This is now too cool. Kennedy Manufacturing is still in business in Van Wert OH. It is about 30 miles from where my aforementioned plumber uncle lived in Lima. They made a name for themselves as a metal tool box maker for machinists, automotive... Cornwell now owns them (also an Ohio company) but they still have their own brand. I grew up in Toledo/Waterville and we often visited uncle Joe passing through Van Wert to Lima, in the early 60's a lot less highways. Most of Ohio above Columbus is hard manufacturing. Most are ghost towns now. When the mills in Youngstown closed, the whole area just stopped. I visited a cousin in Boardmen a few years back and at every 4 corner crossing, 3 buildings boarded up.

From your picture of the inside box I bet this guy was a plumber; torch soldering iron, faucet seat tool, water shutoff wrench, oakum setting tool, the list goes on. A plumber (which fits in with having a deburring tool) or a very DIY guy for sure. I even see a auto head valve.

Very cool...

· Registered
17 Posts
You know, it might be cool to restore this box. Some automobile dolly's and a sand blast, repainted Kennedy brown. I even bet you could write the company and get a new decal and handle (the one on it is not original). I know there are purists out there that would say it would ruin the value, but a good box made in the USA that looks new, would rock. I, don't think there is a huge market for an abused toolbox. It would be a nice winter project. IMHO

They do not offer the split top anymore and the 20" hand carry they have now is $250.

· where's my table saw?
32,644 Posts
It doesn't quite look like the bearing scraper, but maybe there's different styles.
I'll take a couple more pics from different angles when I get home from work.
I agree, the angles and curvature is different than in the photo, but it may still be version of that tool?
It looks very much like the tool I have that I've been wondering what it was for.
The overall length is 13 inches.
My tool was either part of inheritance from my grandfather, a farmer and horse owner, OR my uncle who was a Coast Guardsman.
I have no idea who would have had a use for it, but I was going to use it for pulling staples. It would likely work for untying knots on a sailboat, or working leather on a harness on the farm.
Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Stationery Pen
Wood Office supplies Tool Metal Household hardware

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You know, it might be cool to restore this box. Some automobile dolly's and a sand blast, repainted Kennedy brown. I even bet you could write the company and get a new decal and handle (the one on it is not original). I know there are purists out there that would say it would ruin the value, but a good box made in the USA that looks new, would rock. I, don't think there is a huge market for an abused toolbox. It would be a nice winter project. IMHO

They do not offer the split top anymore and the 20" hand carry they have now is $250.
I've been thinking about cleaning it up for a while now, and yes that would be a good winter project.. It I didn't already have about 50 other projects in front of it, lol.
Maybe one day.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I agree, the angles and curvature is different than in the photo, but it may still be version of that tool?
It looks very much like the tool I have that I've been wondering what it was for.
The overall length is 13 inches.
My tool was either part of inheritance from my grandfather, a farmer and horse owner, OR my uncle who was a Coast Guardsman.
I have no idea who would have had a use for it, but I was going to use it for pulling staples. It would likely work for untying knots on a sailboat, or working leather on a harness on the farm.
View attachment 447175 View attachment 447176
Yours is shaped slightly different, but more than likely it's the same tool. I'm leaning towards it being a machinists deburring tool, like Dave said.

· Registered
5 Posts
Found this in an old box of tools that has been sitting around for years.
Looks like it might come in handy for some carving tasks, cleaning out corners, etc..
I know I've seen these before, and I know I'm going to feel dumb when I get an answer, but what is this called, and what is its intended purpose?
Thanks in advance for any replies. View attachment 447067 View attachment 447068 View attachment 447069
This a tool for working with Babbitt bearings.

· Premium Member
2,003 Posts
What class of ship? 21 inch sounds big but maybe not carrier big.
CVA 42 - line shaft bearings had oiler rings for lube, the drain plug "vibrated out" - frankly I think it was sabotage, carriers were treated to 7-9 month deployments nearly back-to-back.... we had a spare, come to find out it was not even close to the right diameter; the 'powers' found one and flew it to the Med but that one still had to be scraped in.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts