Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in an old box of tools that has been sitting around for years.
Looks like it might come in handy for some carving tasks, cleaning out corners, etc..
I know I've seen these before, and I know I'm going to feel dumb when I get an answer, but what is this called, and what is its intended purpose?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Wood Tool Hand tool Hardwood Flooring
Wood Tool Natural material Metal Fashion accessory
Musical instrument Bicycle part Auto part Wood Bumper

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,525 Posts
My first thought is something a mason would use, but with that groove etc, probably not.

How about photos of some of the other tools that were with it? No one ever mixes tools. ;)

How sharp are the edges?

· Registered
17 Posts
I have my Grand Uncle's plumbers iron and it is a honking bit of copper that would hang in front of an acetylene/carbide torch, which I used to have, so I don't think it is that. Not a tucking tool with that groove. I am thinking leather working or cobbler tool.

· Registered
89 Posts
I knew a WO Calabrese who did quite the job scraping in a 21" diameter line shaft bearing that was too small . . . . .
Hi Tom,
Pretty sure he would not be a part of my family. calabrese is a fairly common name eminating from the providence of Calabria in southern Italy. We can pretty much be found in just about every city phone book.
We are the Smith & Jones of the old country.
Thanks for the mention.
calabrese55

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a few more pictures that might show the shape a little better.
Another thing I discovered is that It's fairly hard. A file skates off of it, but still lightly scratches it. I'm guessing 50-52 rc or so.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Wood Rim
Natural material Wood Tool Rectangle Tableware
Office supplies Natural material Wood Tool Rectangle
Automotive tire Gesture Grey Wood Synthetic rubber
Writing implement Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Wood Pen

· Registered
1,375 Posts
I know I've seen these before, and I know I'm going to feel dumb when I get an answer, but what is this called, and what is its intended purpose?

It is a machinist tool for deburring edges. In this case inside edges, like around the edge of a hole.
Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

Another style/view showing the clearance groove.
Eyebrow Eye Product Writing implement Office supplies

I have several styles of these in my tool box, not used as much since my retirement.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a machinist tool for deburring edges. In this case inside edges, like around the edge of a hole.
View attachment 447126

Another style/view showing the clearance groove.
View attachment 447128

I have several styles of these in my tool box, not used as much since my retirement.
Interesting. I've been a machinist/toolmaker for 34 years, and yet the thought never crossed my mind that it could be a deburring tool.
I also have many different styles of deburring tools in my work box, but nothing quite like this. Now that I'm looking at it, I can see how it could be useful in certain situations.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts