Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was at Menards yesterday and I asked a guy what the difference between veneer core and hardwood veneer core was and he didn't know. I was wondering if anyone knows? The hardwood veneer core says it is 11 ply hardwood core. (Whatever that means) with a plain sliced oak face. And it is $10 less than the veneer core oak which is rotary sliced. I was wanting to know which one is less prone to bow and overall better. It's an odd project but i'm making a reptile encloser (cage/box) that is 6' x 3' x 2/1/2' and it will get about 120 degrees F in it. Thank you.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Hi everyone. I was at Menards yesterday and I asked a guy what the difference between veneer core and hardwood veneer core was and he didn't know. I was wondering if anyone knows? The hardwood veneer core says it is 11 ply hardwood core. (Whatever that means) with a plain sliced oak face. And it is $10 less than the veneer core oak which is rotary sliced. I was wanting to know which one is less prone to bow and overall better. It's an odd project but i'm making a reptile encloser (cage/box) that is 6' x 3' x 2/1/2' and it will get about 120 degrees F in it. Thank you.
We have an introduction section. It would be nice for you to say a few words about yourself. It would help if you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", experience level, and list your general location.

Veneer core plywood cold have any layers of veneer, usually softwoods. Hardwood core veneer plywood would have hardwood veneers as a core.

·
Registered
303 Posts
plywood types

Are you sure you read the label right? Commonly, there is veneer core, which has rotary sliced veneers glued together in a stack to get the thickness with a finish grade veneer on the outside. Then, there is lumber core plywood which has a glued up panel of a lesser grade of boards with a finish grade veneer on the outside.

Look at this link to get end grain views of each kind and others....

http://www.hooddistribution.com/resources/core_types.html

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I get some veneer core that has white pine for the core veneers and some plywood with poplar as the core veneers. I just have never seen anyone specify the difference. Usually they only advertise the amount of layers in the plywood.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I get some veneer core that has white pine for the core veneers and some plywood with poplar as the core veneers. I just have never seen anyone specify the difference. Usually they only advertise the amount of layers in the plywood.
Brazzo's Forrestry Products made sure to let me know that the domestic ply I was getting had poplar and what the grade was on both sides. I don't remember them doing that any other time but they did this last time..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm ok. Well I guess i'll have to go with the oak veneer core that since the hardwood one has poplar in it; and I know that wood is flexible. Does anyone has a suggestion so the roof of the cage won't "bow in"? Do I made the small frame inside it as a support? I am gunna use 3/4 inch think So I don't know if that will make a difference? I wanna make it try to last 10 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts