Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a quick question on how I can best do this. I want to make 160 wedding favors. I am planning on giving away small succulent plants in a small wooden planter box. It would probably be too much for me to make them out of piece of wood. So I thought to get some 4x4s and cut them to height. With the 4x4x4 (3.5x3.5x3.5") block, I was thinking of craving out the middle to create the planter box.

I have a Bosch router and table but I have not seen a bit that can go deep enough to make the cut. I would probably want it to cut at least 3" deep to leave .5" for the bottom of the planter. Also, would this be very stressful for the router? It is pretty brand new and I am sorta babying the thing!

I also thought of getting an inexpensive drill press, however, with a drill I cannot move laterally and make straight lines. I would be left with a bunch of circles.

With my tools and what is out there, what is the best way of doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think I would have to go with a drill press and forstner bit, you will have round ends but should be able to get a pretty straight line by drilling multiple holes.
I guess you could also do it like a bandsaw box, but that would be a lot of work for 60 of them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you thought production. I would take 4 6-7' boards. Do glue up of all the box sides, cut them to length and pop in a bottom with a few nails.

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
3" deep is pretty difficult to route out. I think it would be easier to cut and miter thin stock and assemble the planter boxes. If the parts fit well you wouldn't have to nail it, the joints could be put together with titebond III held together with masking tape.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm with Fire on the Forstner bit. You're going through softwood so It should cut without too much trouble (if your DP has enough grunt). Then leave the hole round or chisel the corners. If you had a mortiser, that's another corner option.

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would rip the 4x4's in half, cut the boxes to length, carve out the centres on your router, and glue the two halves back together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are awesome. With the drill press, I just imagined that I would be using a 1 inch bit and making multiple holes. I didn't know bits came that big. I think I will go that route. Thanks!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
You guys are awesome. With the drill press, I just imagined that I would be using a 1 inch bit and making multiple holes. I didn't know bits came that big. I think I will go that route. Thanks!
Spent the money for the forstner bit! It is a bear to remove the plug from the hole saw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts