Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a small project coming up where I need to cover a small opening to a crawl space leading from my daughters room to the upstairs heating vents. The space is about 2.5' x 2.5'. I plan on using oak ply framed out with Chestnut. I need to hing one side (at least that makes the most sense to me) and on the other side create some sort of locking mechinism to prevent a 2 yr old from getting in there. I was thinking what are those things that come with cheap particle board furniture that looks liek a phillips head screw on one side but it spins to latch down on a bolt. This is the best idea I have yet on how to secure this. If you know the name of those things or you have a better idea please I am all ears.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
+1 for the Knock-Down fittings.
I've recently watched a complete kitchen rebuild go up with those.
Much more solid & secure than I imagined. But, there had been great care
and attention made to the locations of the holes = a sheet of paper couldn't fit in the joints.

Seems to me that you could easily use 2 or 3 of them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats it but after seeing the pic I realize it wont work because I need the access to open towards me so therefore those would have to be mounted on the inside of the panel :( Back to the drawing board! This has to get done soon, she gets more curious and mobile everyday.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
thats it but after seeing the pic I realize it wont work because I need the access to open towards me so therefore those would have to be mounted on the inside of the panel :( Back to the drawing board! This has to get done soon, she gets more curious and mobile everyday.
How about using a drawer/door lock. There is a variety here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts