Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sawdust is my addiction
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few travel mugs I been turning and selling and giving as Christmas gifts....
20131211_183326.jpg
Walnut & Elm

20131213_183502.jpg
Checkerboard with Walnut, Elm, Cedar, Sassafras, Maple, Cherry

20131211_183105.jpg
Cedar

20131213_183319.jpg
Walnut

20131211_183032.jpg
and of course I gotta brand em!! :yes:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Very nice!!! This has probably been covered before but I was wondering about finish that would protect the mugs from hot drinks. They are quite beautiful.

·
Sawdust is my addiction
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! I especially like the checkerboard design. Where did you find the travel mugs?
Thanks, the best deal I could find with the stainless steel inserts I was looking for was good ole walmart ;)

That's some fantastic work there Ernie. Absolutely gorgeous.
Great to see that you're still at it.
Thanks buddy!! I've been lurking here all along just haven't posted much, well actually haven't been building much, till about 2 months ago I herniated a disc in my lower back which kept me from my regular job pouring concrete... so while in recovery I get to "work" :yes: in my shop, (my real joy)

Very nice!!! This has probably been covered before but I was wondering about finish that would protect the mugs from hot drinks. They are quite beautiful.
The outside has one coat of boiled linseed oil and then 3-4 coats of Minwax Polycrylic, comes in a spray can. I've learned to really like the spray can process for small items like this. :thumbsup: They have a stainless steel insert so hot beverage doesn't contact the wood. Then the outside has to be handwashed, NOT in a dishwasher.

Those are awesome! Very nice. Takes a basic travel mug and turned it into something very classy.
Thank you thank you!!

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
Very impressive. I really like them a lot. I no longer have access to a lathe and I can't wait until I can add one to my shop. I really miss turning. I am curious though. How is the elm to work with? The reason I ask is because I have quite a bit of old growth elm from some old barns I have dismantled. I have yet to do anything with it. I have been skeptical due to the fact I have never worked with it, and it isn't a specie you here much about us working with. Can you compare to another specie that is more commonly worked with? Maybe I just need to go pick some of it out and do something small with it.

Thanks,

Mike Darr

·
Sawdust is my addiction
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very impressive. I really like them a lot. I no longer have access to a lathe and I can't wait until I can add one to my shop. I really miss turning. I am curious though. How is the elm to work with? The reason I ask is because I have quite a bit of old growth elm from some old barns I have dismantled. I have yet to do anything with it. I have been skeptical due to the fact I have never worked with it, and it isn't a specie you here much about us working with. Can you compare to another specie that is more commonly worked with? Maybe I just need to go pick some of it out and do something small with it.

Thanks,

Mike Darr
Thanks for the kind words!
I haven't turn a whole lot myself, but I thought the elm was fairly easy, I expected it to be more difficult, kinda like oak cause of the open grain and tear out an all that, but it was much easier then oak, and no tear out. I think it is much prettier also. All of the mugs I turned were done with dry wood (cause it's all I have) so I don't know how wet elm would act. But I am looking forward to turning some wet wood at some point.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
this is nice stuff man. where'd you get that stamp from?

Reactions: 4givndude

·
Sawdust is my addiction
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is nice stuff man. where'd you get that stamp from?
Oh golly, my wife got that for me prolly 15 yrs ago, and I added the date stamp that clamps on the side 3 yrs ago. I got the date add on from Rockler and I'm kinda thinking thats where my wife got the stamp originally also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts