Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9000 - 10,000 pounds.

12 - 13' tall.

Needs an area about 10' x 10' floor space

You have to have about 75HP for it.

The bandwheels are 54" tall.

The lower wheel alone weighs 2000 pounds.

It takes a 6" - 8" blade.

These are some of the tidbits I gathered from a Tech at Yates American this a.m. It's a V54 Resaw and I had no idea what I was getting into when I agreed to take it off the hands of a preacher who ended up with it somehow and just wants it out of the way.
I don't know why I would need this thing, but since it is already mine I guess I better go get it.
Anyone have any experience with, or know anything about, one of these types of machinery?

·
Registered
404 Posts
You're the 2nd guy just this year I heard of that got a saw from a Preacher. I have a friend who got a head rig from the church for free...I guess it was included in an estate donated to the church.

It sounds like an awesome saw...:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Got any pics????

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need oxygen and a chair when you price the blades for it....
The tech at Yates American already told me they run $300ish. Less than I expected for an 8" blade that is probably somethging like 30' diameter.

I kaint take no danged pictures til I git da danged saw! :icon_wink:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thought did cross my mind. It would replace a whole lot of stuff.
I saw a vert set up near Gilmer that a guy built from scratch. A humungous affair. A 25' high cover about 30' x 100' He even had a little office building with all the controls inside from where he ran the whole thing. He is some kind of mechanical genius to do all that. He said he rarely ever has to leave his cozy little nest. He even has a phone inside! I'm not aiming quite that high yet, but I am toying with the idea of running it versus the circle husk and all that other cabled/pulleyed/stuff.
On the other hand, I just don't know if it would end up being more work converting/adapting/fabricating/marrying it all together or just staying with what is already set up to go. I don't think the kerf is any less on a bandsaw blade that big and even if it is it's not enough to justify re-inventing the wheel because i can't think of any huge advantage the bandwheel has over the big circle.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The obvious advantage would be that a head rig with a band would only be limited by "throat" between the blade guides. A double bladed circle mill is great, but band mill would be better in that regard. I can only get 23 inches or so of cut height above the husk...so if you slab a log greater then 36 inches or so, you will have to chainsaw the cut to slab it, a bandmill wouldn't need this...of course, how often do you actually see logs that diameter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts